Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chunky spit up?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

DS has really bad acid reflux. I'm assuming his medication is no longer working or he has gained some weight and his dose needs to be upped. His pediatrician is booked until next week so we can't go in until then. He is arching his back, throwing his head back, stiff as a board, and screaming in pain again while also spitting up again. Now it's chunky. Is chunky spit up in an EBF baby normal for acid reflux babies?

I'm going to call the advice nurse once I can get DS calm again, just wanted to see if anyone else might know. I'll be refreshing for answers but may not be able to respond right away because of DS.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Hmmm, my kids never had acid reflux, but the little guy I babysat did and it wasn't chunky. Do you have a quickcare facility to could run him into to make sure he is ok?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

BUMP!

amzbrznjz
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM

chunky usually means that the milk was digested...I would still talk to his doc to see about upping his dose for reflux

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM

DS just fell asleep so I'm going to call the advice nurse now. I've been thinking about making an appointment with a different ped but I don't know if the ped would feel comfortable upping his dose or changing medication when they haven't seen him before. I just feel bad that he has to wait until next week. :(

So they can spit up chunky spit up after they eat? How did it digest that fast? LOL sorry I am new to all this.

Quoting amzbrznjz:

chunky usually means that the milk was digested...I would still talk to his doc to see about upping his dose for reflux

graciemae3215
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM

are you on a dairy free diet? when DD had chunky spit up, she was having issues due to protein intolerance (she was FF) but i was told since i am bf'ing Caleb (come Oct) to go dairy free since he might have the same issues...

graciemae3215
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM

btw, Hannah's looked like curdled milk / cottage cheese... if it's the same kind of chunky???

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Yes dairy free diet for almost a month, also no soy.

Quoting graciemae3215:

are you on a dairy free diet? when DD had chunky spit up, she was having issues due to protein intolerance (she was FF) but i was told since i am bf'ing Caleb (come Oct) to go dairy free since he might have the same issues...

graciemae3215
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM

then i got nothin! i'm so sorry. all of mine so far have had reflux, 1 corrected by surgery, and i know how helpless you feel... hopefully you guys will get some relief soon! good luck!

amzbrznjz
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM

maybe it is from the previous feeding, but usually chunky means partially digested

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM

My pediatrician works with another pediatrician very closely and she has openings tomorrow morning so we are going in then, thanks ladies. :) They want to check his ears too since my daughter had 8 ear infections by the time she was 2 just to make sure that's not what's bothering him and she said if he needs an increase dose or change of medication, this pediatrician will make the changes as needed since she has a great relationship with his real pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)