Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

joint birthday----how to not be rude?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

my kids bday is only 3 weeks apart. my daughter is turning 6 and my son is turning 3. My daughter started K, so she will have lots of little school mates to invite for a birthday party, but my son doesnt really have anyone yet. He doesnt care, but he likes to be included in the fun with his big sister.

i want to make it clear to everyone that i do NOT expect people who have never met my son to bring gifts for him too. Last year when i handed out birthday invites for a joint party people thought that the kids were twins and they needed to buy for both and i dont want people to think that. I thought about saying, "a gift for both children is not expected" in the invites, however, i dont want it to seem like we expect a gift AT ALL, because we certainly dont! our kids are happy just to have people over, not to get gifts.

for the life of me i cant figure out how to phrase anything without it seeming weird or like i am expecting something from people!

i am a proud MOTHER of one very ornery 2 year old little boy and one very goofy 5 year old little girl! married for 4 years, together for 6 1/2! I'm a fun loving, eco-friendly, creative, different strokes work for different folks, stay at home, work at home, loving my lifeMOMMY!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
matofour
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I have 4 kids, who all have birthdays within 5 weeks.  We almost always do joint partys.

When I send out invites, I only write the kids name (my kid), who their friend is being invited to see. 

So, Kid A gets to invite 5 kids (all of those invites have only HER name on them), kid B gets to invite 5 kids, (her invites have only HER name on it).  At this point all their friends know they have close birthdays, and they get it. I don't want people to buy presents for all my kids, thats not why we have partys. 

It works well for us.

abra
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I love this idea!

Quoting matofour:

I have 4 kids, who all have birthdays within 5 weeks.  We almost always do joint partys.

When I send out invites, I only write the kids name (my kid), who their friend is being invited to see. 

So, Kid A gets to invite 5 kids (all of those invites have only HER name on them), kid B gets to invite 5 kids, (her invites have only HER name on it).  At this point all their friends know they have close birthdays, and they get it. I don't want people to buy presents for all my kids, thats not why we have partys. 

It works well for us.

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Quoting Katreyden:

Maybe just don't say anything about it? That way people can decide if they want to buy gifts for both children or not.

lovin.my.boys
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM

That seems like a good idea.

Quoting matofour:

It works well for us.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Great idea

Quoting matofour:

It works well for us.

scurnes
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM
My sister and I have b-days march 20 and 21 though we are 6 years apart. We did a lot if joint parties at skating rinks and skiing. We gave out invitations to our friends with just our individual name of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)