Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

diaper dilemma

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I was thinking about switching to cloth diapers. I wanted to do cloth with my oldest but just didn't for some reason. My youngest is 6 months and I wanted to consider cloth now. Are there any of you moms with some advice? Does it actually save money? My biggest reason for wanting to do it is to reduce waste. Anyways, any advice, input would be great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I don't cloth, but I think building up your little stock pile is fairly pricey. I've heard they do save quite a bit in the long run though.

Sketch0214
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM
I know they are expensive to start. I think that's part of why I didn't do it at the time.

Quoting Dragonmamas:

I don't cloth, but I think building up your little stock pile is fairly pricey. I've heard they do save quite a bit in the long run though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom71307
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I started cloth when my son was about 4 months old.  I have spent only about $150 over the last 18 months and I use prefolds and covers (cheapest way to go!).  I wash every 4 days.  It saves a TON of money... I still don't pay much more  for water and it certainly doesn't equal what I would have spent on diapers for the last 18 months.  You should join the cuties with cloth booties group to ask more... they are VERY knowledgeable!

momofnate0707
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I started cloth diapering a little over 6mo ago. I have spent less than $300 on my entire stash. I have around 30 diapers. I wash every other day.
The diapers I have will last until dd is pt'd and through any future babies.
You will spend a chunk at one time to build your stash, but think about this....You will never have to buy another diaper (unless you need NB at some time). You will spend anywhere between $2000-$4000 on diapers from birth to pt'ing.
And it is so much healthier for your baby too.  

abra
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM
Cloth diapering saves money over time, but not initially. I paid $100 for 6 diapers, then you add in extra water and electricity costs for laundering them. I use them part time since I go through about 6 day one child AND I have 2 in diapers right now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sketch0214
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Thanks!

Quoting Mom71307:

I started cloth when my son was about 4 months old.  I have spent only about $150 over the last 18 months and I use prefolds and covers (cheapest way to go!).  I wash every 4 days.  It saves a TON of money... I still don't pay much more  for water and it certainly doesn't equal what I would have spent on diapers for the last 18 months.  You should join the cuties with cloth booties group to ask more... they are VERY knowledgeable!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica_LMW551
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM
You can always make your own. I've made 40 so far 20 for each boy. And only spend maybe 60$. I used slot of stuff I already had laying around. Then upcycled old wool sweaters from the thrift store in to longies and Shorties. I'm am though about to spend like 120$ on 15 yards of PUL this Friday. That will make covers and aio's plus some pads for myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ConnersMom03
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I don't have the commitment to do cloth, but admire the moms that can.

PEEK05
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM

It saves money for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)