Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help from the Breastfeeding TTC Moms?? Or anyone that wants to offer advice :)

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 2 Replies

So I had my yearly checkup today. I told  my OBGYN everything. That I am still nursing once or twice a day but that I am not ovulating or having cycles. That I have been having ovary pains (severe at times) along with tender breast, round ligament like pains, headaches, nausea off and on, etc. He said it does sound hormonal. So he did my pap and said neither my uterus nor my ovaries were swollen which was a good thing. He also did blood work. He said if my estrogen level comes back low then that means that nursing is still suppressing ovulation and that after we wean that will come back with time (I never ovulated even when I wasn't nursing so I don't expect that to be the case!) But he said is my estrogen comes back normal then its a hormonal issue meaning my progesterone is probably too low. So he said in that case I will have 3 options. #1 I can get on a Birth Control. (I explained to him that was NOT an option for us EVER!) So he said #2 would be going on a progesterone each month. He said he only prescribes a natural progesterone and that I would take it 10 days out of the month. It would simulate ovulation so that my body would have a period. He said this would neither prevent nor help conception. Option #3 he strongly suggested if we wanted to have another baby and that was taking metformin and clomid.

All of this is a little concerning to me. All I wanted to do was let it go and allow the Lord to bless us with our children as they came. But Dr. Bakes said its very unhealthy to never have periods. And that he strongly suggest I take one of the 3 options. So as I said before Hubby and I refuse to use birth control whether we wanted no more kids or not. Its nasty stuff and my Hubby says the risk aren't worth it. And he knows that if I went on BC and lost a baby I would completely blame it on myself. The increase in BC and MC are just too high! So anyway BC is not for us. But I really didn't want to be on a fertility drug either. A part of me does but I just dont want to stress. I was on clomid for about 1 1/2 yrs when TTC my second. I never ovulated on it (which is why he suggested metformin if we go that route this time) and it was so stressful! And at the end of June I decided to give TTC over to the Lord. And its been so nice not worrying about what day of the month it is, and just letting it be. Its been awesome for both Hubby and Myself. So I am scared to go that route again although it would be kind of exciting at the same time. And something else that bothers me about going on the fertility drugs is that Dr.Baker suggested that I wean Laylah if we go that route. He said that some studies have shown that the hormones don't pass through the milk but that not enough studies have been done to make him feel comfortable about it. Well I just can't make myself wean Laylah just to have another child. Like I feel I am gypping her just to have another child for myself. Does that make since to anyone? If anyone can offer info on taking these drugs while nursing that would be wonderful! So then there is progesterone. The Doc said I could do that and it wouldn't help nor prevent pregnancy. But I am not sure if that is the right thing or not either. He said I will have to use progesterone as long as I don't have regular cycles (meaning more then likely the rest of my life) so I just am gonna have to come to the realization that no matter what naturally isn't happening I mean yea I could conceive on my own, but I will always have to take something to be healthy! That sucks! So anyway ladies...I would love opinions, personal stories, ideas. Anything to make me feel better about today's apt.

Also for the ladies on metaformin and clomid, How expensive is it? How do you take it? How did it work for you? Did you have any side effects? Did you breastfeed while on it?? (I think when I was taking it to conceive my second it was about $55 for the clomid and progesterone each month...that is something else I don't want to have to do is put a bunch of money into something that may or may not help ) Thanks Ladies!

*~Mother of three~*

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lauratupper
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:57 PM

BUMP!

Silver_Nova2082
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)