Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take baby to the ER?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM
  • 13 Replies

Quick back story - 5 month old son does NOT have insurance, am currently fighting with the state to have that appealed. --- With that being said, a few weeks ago I noticed a perfect circle rash looking thing on my DS's leg. At first I thought it was dry skin but when SO saw it he said that it was ringworm since it was formed in a perfect circle... so I went to the store and got some OTC anti fungal cream that I read online was safe for infants. Applied it just like it said, 2 times a day and a week after rash disappears to make sure its gone. However today I noticed 3 more patches only now they are on his should blades and the back of his arm. These are not circles but patches... I did some googleing and saw that it might be eczema. 
But ... what if its not?  Should I take him to the ER and have the docs look at it there?
My friend said not to because they'll give him a catheter to run a urine test --- why would they run a urine test and would they really give a BABY a catheter??  

I'm going to take some pics now and will update once I get them loaded, but in the mean time can you girls let me know what YOU would do??

Thanks so much.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers 

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JBDslittlemam08
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM
They won't need a urine sample for a rash but no, it's not ER worthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschambers7508
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I would take him. Better safe then sorry, you know? Hope its nothing serious!

Avetay
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Maybe you could try a urgent care or the health unit. It he gets a fever then take him to the er
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:16 PM
No please don't. He will get so much sicker at the E.R. its truely nasty there. I mean a regular doc visit would be cheaper anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Perfect round circles are usually ringworm and highly contagious. my son had it. it could be eczema as well though. my son has that too. it may be the detergent if lotion doesnt work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessie8706
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Quoting mrschambers7508:

I would take him. Better safe then sorry, you know? Hope its nothing serious!

baby
michelle856
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM

my baby has eczema pretty bad. We use aquaphor and it helps a lot. 

Dlove78
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM

The first one I found was a perfect circle, that one is now gone and there are these ones, which are not circles, more like blotches.

The picture didnt come out as clear as I hoped

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers 

sweetgrlangel
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM
You have to treet ring worm for a month for it to be compleltely gone. So since you say u treated for a week I am betting its ring worm. Ring worm is not always round. I used the toe nail funus stuff cause it soaked in fast and put a bandaid over at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetgrlangel
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Oh yeah we had a out break from the school last year and it was a pain to get rid of!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)