• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? about circumcision

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:39 AM
  • 72 Replies

So there's this very heated post going on right now about circmcision. I personally believe it is the parents' right to choose whether or not to go through with the procedure. I would chose to circumcise, for many reasons, but would never put another mother down for choosing not to. 

Now on the post, I commented my personal opinion (which I have more reasons for not circumcising than what I posted.) A few min. later I looked and had been tore apart by a couple of mothers for my choice, one mother going as far as saying "I pray you continue to have girls," which really hurt. She also called it mutilation. I realize a lot of women feel that it is a form of mutilation. 

So here's my ? 

If you choose NOT to get your boy circumcised because it is mutilation...How do you feel about piercing a baby girl's ears?

*I realize the two are very different circumstances. BTW ear piercings DO NOT always grow back, and there is risk of infection, not to mention it can be painful sometimes. So basically it is something that can possibly alter their bodies FOREVER.

dictionary.com-Mutilation- to injure, disfigure or make imperfect by removing or irreparably damaging parts.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:40 AM
I was wondering this as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:41 AM
Or cutting hair...it may not hurt but its what grows naturally!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:42 AM
We plan to get my son ( due in jan) circumcised but refuse to get my daughters ears pierced until she is older
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommychelle01
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM

I don't agree with circumcision and my son is intact (but I'm not one of the moms that's bashing the pro-circ's), so since I believe you're asking a question that you sincerely want an answer to, my answer is that I wouldn't pierce a baby's ears. But we're some stick-up-the-butt prudes 'round here and if I have any girls, they won't be getting their ears pierced until the teen years. If then. haha :)

mommychelle01
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM

lol, this is a horrible comparison. how often do you hear of a kid's foreskin growing back?

Quoting abstractmommy:

Or cutting hair...it may not hurt but its what grows naturally!

feralkitten
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM

i choose not to have my boys dune as its not really dune in the uk unless your musum or Jewish. and as i see it they were born fine they way they are but i don't think bad of people who do have it dune. how ever it dose bug me if you choose to do it then don't go around saying your poo baby needs an opp ( don't ask long sore story ) i know most women don't do that

MosKittie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:46 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't that be a form of "mutilation"?

Misery_Stitches
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:49 AM
my boy is intact as i feel it is HIS penis to make such a permanent choice about.

my girls ears were left intact/earing free for the same reason. i waited till she made the choice on her own to want them done, but i didn't just go out on a whim and do it coz she asked. i waited an entire year of her begging, and each time she begged i taught her more about ear piercings, what to expect and how to look after them so that when she finally did get them, it was a fully informed choice on her end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toybar02
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM
I honestly don't see what the big deal is, when you give birth to sons doctors recommend that if the child's father is circumcised than therefore you should circumcise the child, so its actually not a belief for most women we are told by doctors what's healthy and what's not and of course we believe them because they have the schooling and knowledge that we don't about certain health issues. I just wish all the bickering and judging would end, only god can judge and that's my belief.
feralkitten
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:53 AM

thing is i have to say you can take ear percing out and the heal up  and grow hair back you cant grow a  forskin back so i dont think you can compair them sorry .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)