Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unhappy baby-

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love them.

I have an 8 week old that was held almost non-stop for the second-fifth weeks of life due to grandparents visiting and never put on a schedule.  I am working on the 3 hour schedule but it has affected my night schedule.  I had her on a 4 hour feeding schedule around the clock, but have gone to a 3 hour schedule during the day.  She then has slept as long as 5 -6 hours at night. But with the new 3 hour day time schedule she is erratic. She seems to sleep better in the evening and early night but then by 3 am is on to the every 3 hour schedule.

Also, how do you play with a baby.  Mine doesn't seem interested in toys, music, books, bouncing chairs, swings, etc. 

She usually is crying if she is awake.  She hasn't smiled and barely has started cooing. 

She was born 2 weeks early if that matters.

Thanks-

Debbie

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
odessie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I never kept a schedule for my sone just fed him when he was hungry (cried) and just fed him 4oz at a time so he would not overeat unless he wanted a bit more then i would give it to him. He was held all the time by me so i dont think that should be the problem. my guy was not into anything until like 4 or 5 months old. he slept alot as a baby and stared at stuff but did not play so i would not worry about that either. ask your doc just in case but i'm sure she is fine. 

He did like to look at our ceiling alot cuz we had black beams and white ceiling so he liked the contrast i think. 

some babies just don't do schedules every baby is different just don't overfeed - my son never spit up since i was careful with how much he ate but if he cried for food i fed him

yorkiern
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback-  I was trying to do it by cues, but she was never napping more than a half an hour at a time and still was unhappy.  Plus I would have to rock and sing to her for sometimes an hour to get her to fall asleep.  This schedule has helped with getting her to sleep during the day.  I have still held her for 5 minutes and sang but just now she went down without even that.  My husband is desperate for a schedul because in 2 weeks he will be the stay at home dad.  I just want her HAPPY.   Plus I wonder if changing things is making her more unhappy.  I vary the amount I feed her, i.e. feed her more at night than during the day feedings since she is going longer between eating.  Maybe that is wrong too? 

mamabens
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM

No clue.....never kept a strict schedule with any of my babies. I fed them when they were hungry & held them when they wanted Bump....

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM

No clue.

I let them nurse and sleep on demand... and wear them almost 24/7 in a wrap or sling during the day. They form their own routine very quickly if you follow their natural cues.

As for toys and books etc. she is only 8 weeks old! She needs to be kept close and snuggled. They love to hear our voices and watch our faces. That is the best interaction for them. I'm not sure about the smiling, my babies were smiling (real smiles, not the gassy ones lol) by around 4-5 weeks.

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/1365600/view/1/type/png/width/178/height/178/black-hoser-sweatshirt_design.png

odessie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

oh also i called them "growing weeks" where he would sleep alot one week and eat  a lot the next. she's probably growing and then hungry next week. 

odessie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM

your doing a good job at least your trying to figure her out.

bump!

Mom71307
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I have never tried scheduling babies... they are not wired that way but tehy do fall into their own routine eventually. We did a lot of talking and singing to them and face to face things since that is more stimulating at that age.  I BF on demand and they fall into their routine that was somewhat predictable. I would never feed more at night, etc... just what they wanted (more frequent nursing at night was common though) and when they woke, I nursed... if she is FF, I REALLY have no clue but I think you CAN try to schedule things more with FF babies although scheduling with BF babies generally ends in failure to thrive.

musicmom246
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM
I breastfed, so I'm not sure what to tell you on that topic. Personally (and this is so ridiculously controversial on cm, I hate to mention), I let my son lay and fuss himself to sleep. He would fall asleep nursing, but almost never stayed asleep when I layed him down. Any attempts at rocking, singing, soothing, etc only simulated him; human interaction simulated him! So for his own good, I've let him fuss.
Also, I put him down for a nap every 2 hours, approx. Again, it's different bf because the schedule varied until the milk came in, about 3 mos. I recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". It's a bit repetitious in it's wording, but good information.
Don't worry about the playing; she is young! How does she feel about watching ceiling fans? :D GL!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Same here.

Quoting Randi02:

No clue.

I let them nurse and sleep on demand... and wear them almost 24/7 in a wrap or sling during the day. They form their own routine very quickly if you follow their natural cues.

As for toys and books etc. she is only 8 weeks old! She needs to be kept close and snuggled. They love to hear our voices and watch our faces. That is the best interaction for them. I'm not sure about the smiling, my babies were smiling (real smiles, not the gassy ones lol) by around 4-5 weeks.

karina400
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM
Nurse the baby. I know you ff but that doesn't mean you can't nurse too. It is the cure for almost everything. Btw, you still have milk for years after you give birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)