• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do??? kinda long. * edit in blue*

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM
  • 33 Replies

OK.  This morning about 7:45 my 18 yr old cousin calls me.  She is sitting at a gas station in town with her 2 month old waiting for 9 to go to her doc appointment. She calls me and ask me to come get her 2 month old daughter.  I said ok me and my MIL will be there shortly.  Well she calls back 2 mins later asking if I have some wipes cuz she didnt bring any. I told her I would bring some with me. She then calls back and ask for a bottle cuz she didnt bring one for her 2 month old.  Well we get there to pick her up and I asked her how much she was feeding  her. She has been feeding her 8 ounces of formula almost every 2 hours!! Plus baby food!!  She goes to her doc appointment and we meet her back in town. I asked her what she was fixing to do? she told me she was gonna sit in her car from 10 am til 1pm so she can take her dd for her 2 month old shots. Ok the temp here is almost 100 degrees today. I told her lock up her car and come home with me and my MIL and we will take her back to her appointment.  We get here and I am rocking the 2 month old and get to smelling something awful.  I look at her neck and she has what appears to be diaper rash around her neck. The baby did not seem to have had a bath in a week!  I give her a bath and get ready to dress her and my cousin has her a Newborn onesie for me to put on her. I got one of my DD's 3-6 month onesies to put on her. She got mad at me for it. Well we get to the clinic and she tells me that I may have to stay with the baby while she goes to pick up her 17 yr old SIL from school. I told her she is old enough that she can wait til we get done. Her number one priority is the baby. Well we got called back to the back and they check the babys weight. She weighs 14 pounds 8 ounces. The nutritionist informed her that she was gaining weight way to fast. She is 6 pounds shy of being as big as my 11 and a half month old.   She acted like it did not bother her. 

I am on the fence on whether or not to call CPS on her.  The baby had diaper rash so bad on her bottom that it made me cry.

Please dont bash. I just dont know if i should call or not. What do you ladies suggest?

09-15

ok so i called CPS this morning and reported everything that I have witnessed. They are suppose to keep me updated on the situation. I know she is going to know who reported her but at the point I really dont care. I am concerned for the health of the baby.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyleighsmommy10
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM

hmm thats awful my 9 month old weighs 21 pounds shes almost as big as her. as far as the diaper rash. is this her first kid? maybe she does not understand [despite it being common sense] that they need to be changed often and that even if they arent crying that dont mean they like to sit in piss an crap lol. bathing. i was always told for the first few months they dont need a bath everyday jus to wipe them down with wipes. but maybe she's not getting her neck well ennough. I would call jus so their aware of the issue. that way if something happens later you dont feel guilty. Do you think she would know that it was you who called? Did you try offering her tips on putting stuff on the diaper rash an letting her know that to be 14 pounds at 2 month is something to be concerned about not that your tryin to tel her how to parent jus looking out for the babies best interest.

mjsmom2010
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Quoting kyleighsmommy10:

hmm thats awful my 9 month old weighs 21 pounds shes almost as big as her. as far as the diaper rash. is this her first kid? maybe she does not understand [despite it being common sense] that they need to be changed often and that even if they arent crying that dont mean they like to sit in piss an crap lol. bathing. i was always told for the first few months they dont need a bath everyday jus to wipe them down with wipes. but maybe she's not getting her neck well ennough. I would call jus so their aware of the issue. that way if something happens later you dont feel guilty. Do you think she would know that it was you who called? Did you try offering her tips on putting stuff on the diaper rash an letting her know that to be 14 pounds at 2 month is something to be concerned about not that your tryin to tel her how to parent jus looking out for the babies best interest.

yes I believe she would know who called. And I tried talking to her and about the weight and she acted like she didnt care and that just because her mom has not said anything to her it is ok. I even showed her what she needed to do for diaper rash.  I just dont know what to do. I have cried all day cuz I am at a loss.

Cafe Kelly
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM

What a sad situation. What did they say at the clinic about the rashes? Did they seemed concerned about possible neglect?

It sounds like she needs some serious guidance on how to care for her baby.

mjsmom2010
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM

BUMP!

mjsmom2010
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Quoting Cafe Kelly:

What a sad situation. What did they say at the clinic about the rashes? Did they seemed concern about possible neglect?

It sounds like she needs some serious guidance on how to care for her baby.

They would not check the rashes.  They are more concerned with her weight. 

giniaa
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM
U should call! Many ppl would say "shes young she'll learn" no!! You calling would be helping the baby girl! I can't believe she wanted to sit in the car with a 2month old!! You NEED to call. Obviously she doesn't care if she doesn't care for her baby's health(weight) this is a sad situation better her hating you then anything happening to the baby. You were there now to help her what about next time? No wipes? No bottles? Ridiculous!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cass052005
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM
I agree. Being young does not mean you can act stupid and careless especially with a helpless child!

Quoting giniaa:

U should call! Many ppl would say "shes young she'll learn" no!! You calling would be helping the baby girl! I can't believe she wanted to sit in the car with a 2month old!! You NEED to call. Obviously she doesn't care if she doesn't care for her baby's health(weight) this is a sad situation better her hating you then anything happening to the baby. You were there now to help her what about next time? No wipes? No bottles? Ridiculous!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Worthen71
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM

thats really sad ):

BiPolarMomto3
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I know she's your family, but I would call CPS. It sounds to me like she's too busy worrying about her own life than the life that she's caring for.It may ruin what relationship you have but that baby's safety is more important at this point. That baby can get seriously sick if she's not taken care of properly. I don't care if it's my own sister, if there is neglect involved with a child epsecially that young, I'm calling CPS! but that's just my opinion. If you make an emergecny report CPS will come out and look at the baby. They will look at the rashes and check her living environment and investigate her. And 2 months yea that weight is a little too much. My 4.5 month old weighs 18lbs but he was a big baby at birth.

Bknotnobody
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Is she suffering from Post Partum? Sounds like this could be a possibility. Not saying it's right or wrong, but you might want to talk to her mom, or something.... Before you call CPS. She might actually NEED help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)