Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

possible spider or mosquito bite on baby hand

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

Been enjoying our deck outside lately and today I noticed my 20 month old baby girl had a small red mark on her right hand.  By the end of the day, her hand had swollen.  I googled it and it advised I put lemon juice on her hand.  The swelling went down and her hand looks better.  My husband thinks it was just a mosquito bite, but I think it could have been a spider. 

What do you guys think?  I'm going to call the pediatrician in the morning. Any advice to care for my baby's hand?

by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
teachermama924
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 8:13 PM
Usually if it is a spider bite you can see two tiny holes. If there are red streaks moving up the arm or if there is a bullseye pattern (red, white, red) it's a spider and you need to head to the ER. otherwise you are probably fine unless it doesn't go away or starts turning colors. I've seen a lot of bites. I lived in the country most of my life so I've learned what to watch for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyambition
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 4:41 AM

If her hand had swollen that makes me think it wasn't a mosquito. I would suggest calling a nurses line

abra
by Abra on Oct. 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM
I agree

Quoting teachermama924:

Usually if it is a spider bite you can see two tiny holes. If there are red streaks moving up the arm or if there is a bullseye pattern (red, white, red) it's a spider and you need to head to the ER. otherwise you are probably fine unless it doesn't go away or starts turning colors. I've seen a lot of bites. I lived in the country most of my life so I've learned what to watch for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mindy88
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM

That isn't true. Mosquito bites can cause swelling if you are allergic. When I get bit it swells and gets really hot. The last bite I had was 4in across either way and really raised, but I knew it was a mosquito bite.

OP: If the swelling went down and theres no signs of discoloration (other then red) it's probably okay. You can call her doctor if it will ease your mind :).

Quoting ladyambition:

If her hand had swollen that makes me think it wasn't a mosquito. I would suggest calling a nurses line

♥Mom to 3 Handsome Boys Xander (8-24-07), Kyler (1-29-09) Spencer (1-07-10) and One baby girl on the way (EDD 12-20-11) Wife to Kevin (8-19-07)♥

ycnim
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I called the nurse line and they didn't seem too concerned unless the hand look infected or the swelling got worse.  It's definitely looking better over time.  Whew.

teachermama924
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM
I agree with mindy. I am allergic to Mosquitos and they swell up to the size of a small plate on my leg or a baseball on my face and arms. If I put some benadryl cream on it the swelling will go back down. So if the swelling went down that easily it is very likely a mosquito

Quoting Mindy88:

That isn't true. Mosquito bites can cause swelling if you are allergic. When I get bit it swells and gets really hot. The last bite I had was 4in across either way and really raised, but I knew it was a mosquito bite.

OP: If the swelling went down and theres no signs of discoloration (other then red) it's probably okay. You can call her doctor if it will ease your mind :).

Quoting ladyambition:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)