Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Febrile Seizures- My therapeutic post

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am new to this site and I was referred to it by my sister, mom and coworker after a very scary moment in my life that I can't seem to shake. I was told that maybe writing about my situation might help to clear my head a little bit. I am a new mom, I have a daughter who is 11 months old. Early last month she had a fever of about 101 degrees. We decided that we should take her into urgent care just incase it was something more serious. We waited in urgent care for 2 hours before being seen. Finally our names were called to go back to the doctors waiting room, we were back there for 15 minutes. I told my husband that I felt like our daughter was getting even warmer. Just in that moment after I said that, she started convulsing. Her eyes rolled back and it was as if she was dying in my arms. I screamed and opened the door for a nurse to come in. I handed her off to the nurses as they placed her on the bed and rolled her to her side and said she was having a seizure. All I could think of in that moment was that I was going to lose her, that I was going to watch her die. The seizure stopped and the paramedics showed up. They were very comforting to me and trying to calm me down. They had me hold her and I just remember her moaning and looking up at me and I felt so helpless. All I wanted to do was be a strong mother but I couldn't hold back my emotions. Watching her go through that, not knowing what it was at first, it was tragic for me. We went to the emergency room and found out her fever had spiked to 104 when the seizure happened. Now, a month later I still can't seem to shake the incident. Even after hearing from so many people how common these seizures are, I still replay the moment in my head. I have terrible anxiety now, I am scared to be around her if she is sick, I am scared to death of seeing her have another one. It was the worst experience of my life and I am trying to just overcome it, but I am having a hard time. 

Thank you for letting get this off my chest and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kelly

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommyhonu
by Mary on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

((((hugs))))

It's never easy seeing your lil one go thru something like that and even harder to shake that helpless feeling. I have never been thru something like that but am sure that in time you will start to feel at ease. I'm sure that there are moms here that have been thru this as well. Hang in there mommy!

Nosilla0804
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I have no idea how I came across your post but it is horrible.  I have a 4 year old who a week before his 4th birthday had a seizure at home, turned blue, and was convulsing.  This was the worst moment of my life and thought he was also going to do.  The ambulance came, took him to the hospital and gave him acitaminaphin and ibuprofin and so far so good.  The good news is, as horrific and awful as it is for us mommies, it really doesn't have any negative effects on them.  My doctor just said when he gets a low grade fever around 99/100 to just give him a dose of meds.  They usually only have them when they are little ones and eventually grow out of them.  I know exactly how you feel.  My son has a low grade fever today and it never quite leaves my mind.  Stay strong and know even if it did happen again, she would be okay.  

i.heart.myboys
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM

(HUGS) I am not saying your child is special needs but there is a group on here that have mom's like yourself with MANY different kind of seizures. My 1 year old has Epilepsy with Infantile Spasms and these ladies help so much. I will put my siggie on here as well so you can click on it. I know how scary it is to have a child with seizures. It's not easy. Does your child have diastat?

KCS1211
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Thank you for your replies. This group is already so helpful and I have only been on here for 10 minutes. It means a lot to me. 

xomrs.chase
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:19 PM
*hugs*

I'm a direct support provider for adults with disabilities. Right now I work full time with a young woman who has seizures. The first one I saw shook me to the core. I remember leaving the room (after it was finished/ she laid down to rest) and bursting out crying because I had never seen a human being drop like that..

My friend's dd just got diagnosed with epilepsy too.. Poor thing isn't even 6 months yet.

I couldn't imagine watching my child go through it. *more hugs!!* crying doesn't mean you were weak- it makes you more of a mom. (I'd be worried if you were emotionless).

How is she now? Have you brought her in for tests to see if it was just the fever that did it?

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you're able to find the support you need on this site!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KCS1211
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM

She is fine now. No more seizures but also no more fevers. The doctors said because of how quickly she came out of the seizure, they knew it was a febrile seizure directly caused by a high spike in her temp. 

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

*hugs* Glad she is fine now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)