Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant constipation

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

My poor 6 week old baby girl is constipated :( her stool is so hard and she cries... we tried karo syrup and now prune juice. Does anyone know anything else we can do for her. I even tried the thermometer trick... any advice would help... thanks :)

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kelsiey
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

The only thing I ever use when my daughter is is 2oz water with 2oz prune juice, warm helps.

treston
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM

maybe an ounce or 2 of just water. that should help

Paradys
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Bf or ff? I ask cause I've hears you can make thinner formula to help but if bfing the best answer is to stop dairy or wheat and nurse, nurse, nurse!
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuantumLove
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Here is a link to what Dr sears wrote on his site. There is alot more good  info if you go to that page.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/constipation 

Flax oil is a favorite. A healthy alternative to mineral oil is flax oil, which not only has laxative properties, but is a valuable source of omega 3 fats as well. (Although you may hear that mineral oil is a good oil to relieve constipation, because it is a mixture of hydrocarbons dried from petroleum products, I have never been convinced of its safety. And, unlike flax oil, it certainly has no nutritional benefits.) Unlike mineral oil, which slides through the intestines, possibly taking vitamins with it, flax oil is a nutrient that facilitates absorption of the vitamins.

Dosage of flax oil:
Infants: one teaspoon a day
Toddlers: two teaspoons a day
Children and adults: one tablespoon a day

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I would call an advice nurse. Try a bath.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Also, if ff you can switch to soy and most of the time that will solve the issue.

Quoting Paradys:

Bf or ff? I ask cause I've hears you can make thinner formula to help but if bfing the best answer is to stop dairy or wheat and nurse, nurse, nurse!

Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)