Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 month old STILL not sleeping through the night :(

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 20 month old son still does not consistently sleep through the night. He will occasionally have a night where he makes it all the way through, but they are rare. He wakes up randomly, cries for a bit & sometimes goes back to sleep on his own. Other times, like last night, one of us has to go in & soothe him back to sleep. Lately, this is accomplished by rubbing his back or tummy in the dark without picking him up out of his crib. His crying will wind down & usually after about 10-15 minutes, he's quiet again. "Crying it out" does not work with this boy, but we did try that. If we don't go in, he'll just get himself worked up even worse. We brought him into our bed a few times when he was sick with a bad cold, but other than that, he's always slept in his crib. Lately, he's only being waking once or twice a night. He's had somewhat of a difficult time with teething, so I've always chalked it up to that or general growing pains. He's not too cold, or too hot.  Amazingly, I'm adjusting to the lack of consecutive REM sleep (going on 3 years, if you count pregnancy), but I don't know if there is something more I can be doing to help him stay asleep. Do I just need to accept that having a baby means I have to wave bye-bye to a good night's rest?

by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teachermama924
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM
I'm no help other than to say you have company. My 14 month dd is the same way except its basically the same times each night rather than random. And she only takes one 30 minute nap during the day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedMomma4
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM
My 22month old wakes at least 2-3 times a night, every night. He is bf'ed and comes to bed with us when he wakes up the first time and stays the rest of the night. Some babies just need the comfort of knowing mommy or daddy is close...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Britt
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM

my 15 month old still wakes up to nurse :)

do you have a fan you could run in there for white noise? or maybe a cd player on repeat all? :)

Lovemama0710
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I'm sorry for all of you sleep-deprived mamas out there, but definitely glad to hear that I'm not alone :) 

Yes, we use this fantastic Homedics sound machine that my sister-in-law gave us as a baby shower gift. I set it on "Ocean" every night. I've actually become quite fond of it myself.

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

my 15 month old still wakes up to nurse :)

do you have a fan you could run in there for white noise? or maybe a cd player on repeat all? :)

PEEK05
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Does he have a little friend he can take to bed with him, one that he picked out?

abra
by Abra on Nov. 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I go in and pick them up and calm them down if they cry past the angry phase and go into the panic one.

Lovemama0710
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PEEK05:

Does he have a little friend he can take to bed with him, one that he picked out?

How sweet! He does; a little monkey blanket who's been with him since day one.

mommyjenn84
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Believe it or not, not sttn is actually very normal. I know its made to be a big huge deal if I child isnt at a very young age, but honestly it really is ok.

Hoe you get sleep soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhmomma
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM
My 14 month dd is the same also. I get up 2-3 times a night to give her a paci and her hippo (beloved stuffed animal she will NOT sleep without). The 4th time is usually at 5am and she then gets a 4oz bottle and lays quietly in bed for another hour. She takes one 45min-1hr nap each day, has the same bed time routine every night, and just doesn't sleep well.
I think she has night terrors. The way she cries out is just...heart wrenching.

Quoting teachermama924:

I'm no help other than to say you have company. My 14 month dd is the same way except its basically the same times each night rather than random. And she only takes one 30 minute nap during the day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on Nov. 17, 2011 at 3:29 AM

I'm sorry, i'm not sure. I've had a great sleeper since she was 3 weeks old!

Here's a Bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)