Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would u b angry? Found out DD's care giver has been having her sleep in high chair...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:06 AM
  • 24 Replies
Hi. My 21m DD goes to a home daycare 3x/week. A new baby has joined the house in the last 2 weeks and my DD hasn't been sleeping well. I found out that her Care giver has been putting her to sleep in a reclining high chair only AFTER giving my DD the option of her little cot OR the highchair.

My DH does not think its a big deal bc the chair is padded and reclines and would therefore be similar to a car seat. -I, on the other hand, feel that if DD doesn't want to sleep she should be allowed to play. DH thinks that bc the caregiver has other children there she has to havethe household quiet and he understands the caregiver.

I can't get the image out of my mind of my little one being put in a chair for 1.5 hours in an afternoon :( :( :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlwaysKISA
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:07 AM
I mean, obviously, she was comfortable. Its weird but I don't think I would be upset at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avaandemmasmom
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:14 AM
Quoting AlwaysKISA:

I mean, obviously, she was comfortable. Its weird but I don't think I would be upset at all.
Goobieville
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:30 AM

maybe i am misunderstanding.... is your dd being put to sleep in the highchair or the new baby... and is your dd saying she doesn't want to sleep? or saying not in the highchair? I dont think that the caregiver is wrong in giving your dd a choice- i dont really agree with the highchair part but... i dont understand the connection to that, the cot and not sleeping or playing...?!

As for having a dayhome full of kids a 'nap/quiet time' is usually required. I have a dayhome and i dont care if the kids sleep or not- but in the afternoon there is a 'quiet time' for the babies/toddlers its a nap (sleeping or playing in the playpen) older kids its usually books or something along that line. Its about structure. 

Samantha431
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:19 AM
Hi. She won't sleep in the cot since the baby arrive. The caregiver is having HER sleep in the highchair she usually eats in! I guess it contains her and she actually does sleep in it these days after given the choice of highchair or cot. -My DH says maybe she is trying to copy the new baby who is there as he is in it a lot.

Quoting Goobieville:

maybe i am misunderstanding.... is your dd being put to sleep in the highchair or the new baby... and is your dd saying she doesn't want to sleep? or saying not in the highchair? I dont think that the caregiver is wrong in giving your dd a choice- i dont really agree with the highchair part but... i dont understand the connection to that, the cot and not sleeping or playing...?!

As for having a dayhome full of kids a 'nap/quiet time' is usually required. I have a dayhome and i dont care if the kids sleep or not- but in the afternoon there is a 'quiet time' for the babies/toddlers its a nap (sleeping or playing in the playpen) older kids its usually books or something along that line. Its about structure. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aecollins70
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Yes, I am still confused by the situation.

Isnt there enough cots and that's why she's being put in the highchair? I mean, I would be upset if that is the case, because that means that probably the daycare is not prepared or able to take as many children as they currently have.

As far as nap/quiet time; I think that is standard in all daycare situations. Kids are put down for naps after lunch time; I am always amazed at how they manage to put 8-10 kids in a room and have them all nap at the same time.

I hope you are able to figure what is going on; because there is nothing more upsetting that being unhappy with your child's care.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Then the caregiver isn't forcing her to sleep there, that is where she is comfortable. I don't understand why you would be mad about that. If she wasn't comfortable, she would cry to get out.

Quoting Samantha431:

Hi. She won't sleep in the cot since the baby arrive. The caregiver is having HER sleep in the highchair she usually eats in! I guess it contains her and she actually does sleep in it these days after given the choice of highchair or cot. -My DH says maybe she is trying to copy the new baby who is there as he is in it a lot.

Quoting Goobieville:

Bigtwig
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this

A 21 month old needs a nap and although I don't agree with having her sleep in a high chair I don't think it's a reason to be upset.  Your option of no nap isn't good for your caregiver or your child.   Maybe a pack and play would be a better option until your dd gets used to the new baby?

jessicaaris
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I would not want my child in a high chair for a nap. It is not safe for one because she could fall out if she was trying to climb out and it just doesn't seem comfortable. I agree with you that she should be allowed to play QUIETLY if she does not want to sleep. I can understand your husband's view that if other kids are sleeping then the house should be quiet. Why the care giver ever thought of putting her in the high chair to nap I have no idea.

Samantha431
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Thank you! I will bring our playpen next week. It is a home based daycare and they removed the playpen that she slept in and gave her a cot b/c she sleeps in a twin bed at home and not a crib. I guess she is not taking to their cot the way she did to her twin bed. -My upset is imagining my beautiful girl sleeping in a chair for 1.5 hours! Poor thing!

Quoting Bigtwig:

A 21 month old needs a nap and although I don't agree with having her sleep in a high chair I don't think it's a reason to be upset.  Your option of no nap isn't good for your caregiver or your child.   Maybe a pack and play would be a better option until your dd gets used to the new baby?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM

If she's sleeping and not unhappy, I don't see the big deal. Obviously she was tired if she fell asleep. Maybe she likes to sleep in an upright position.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)