Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

car seat

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM
  • 99 Replies

So we all know that AAP has said that children to face backwards in the carseat till the age of 2. I was just curious how many moms are really doing this and how many aren't. I don't think badly of anyone who isn't. I have had my DD facing backwards until today, and the only she didn't today was because I was annoyed at the carseat, cramping, sick and exhausted and to put her carseat forward facing is 10xs easier and she acctually behaved better. I am now in a debate with myself as to whether or not turn her carseat back around. Thoughts?

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gavin423
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I didn't with my first. I honestly had no idea about that - I had always heard (and heard from my family who'd last had a baby about 7 years prior) that you turn them around at 1.

With my second however, she will rear face until she HAS to be turned around according to the carseat's specifications.

militarywife09
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM
My first I didn't wait, my 2nd I will around 18 months to 2 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebmarie90
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah my 1st was forward facing once he got to that 20lb limit. DD's got one of those safety 1st carseats and it says it can rear face till 40lbs and forward face after 20lbs (which DD is). I am just on the fence because of the face that the rear facing is supposed to be safer if you are in a car accident. 

Quoting gavin423:

I didn't with my first. I honestly had no idea about that - I had always heard (and heard from my family who'd last had a baby about 7 years prior) that you turn them around at 1.

With my second however, she will rear face until she HAS to be turned around according to the carseat's specifications.

gavin423
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

We have DD in an infant seat right now. However in February, we are getting her a Graco MyRide 65 which rear faces until 40 lbs and 50" and then forward faces with harness until 65 lbs. We have smaller kids (my 4 year old isn't even 40 lbs yet (almost but not quite) so it will last DD for a while.

For whatever reason (I'm not sure, as I have never been in a car accident or even known anyone well that was in a BAD accident) but I'm rather anxious and paranoid about car wrecks. So DD will definitely be staying rear facing as long as we can. :)

Quoting rebmarie90:

Yeah my 1st was forward facing once he got to that 20lb limit. DD's got one of those safety 1st carseats and it says it can rear face till 40lbs and forward face after 20lbs (which DD is). I am just on the fence because of the face that the rear facing is supposed to be safer if you are in a car accident. 

Quoting gavin423:

tel4him
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM

My son is 18 months and 25 lbs now.  I was going to wait until he's 2, but I'm thinking about switching him now.  I went riding with a friend and his seat didn't fit in her car rear facing.  He had so much fun facing forward and it would be much easier to get him in and out if he were forward facing.  Still debating what to do. 

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM
I didnt wait that long with my first but probably will with my new baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_girl07
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM

My oldest rf to 4y1m. My youngest is 2yrs8m and still rf and will until she hits 35lbs which will be around her 4th birthday.

kirstina
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I am not at this poin with my baby. My other two kids turned forward at 1. We will see how big monica is and that will decide when she turns around. I expect her to turn around before 2 because the car seats are only rear facing until 30lbs and she is 11 at 4 weeks.

JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Ds rf until 3.
Dd is 18 months and just hit 20 lbs. She will rf to the max.
Look at crash test videos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM
3 moms liked this

If its safest to be rear facing in the car when why dont they turn the back seat around?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN