Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Holidays Can be Dangerous for Kids

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM
  • 3 Replies

Holidays can be dangerous for kids, but it’s not just the fireworks, jack-o-lanterns or Christmas decorations that cause injuries. More often, holiday-related injuries are caused by “everyday” household situations like slipping on the stairs, or by activities such as bike-riding or playing football. The study, “Epidemiology of Pediatric Holiday-Related Injuries Presenting to U.S. Emergency Departments,” in the May issue of Pediatrics (released early online April 5), examined 5.7 million holiday-related injuries sustained by children between 1997 and 2006. The greatest number of injuries occurred in the 5-day period surrounding Labor Day, followed by Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Halloween. Most of the injuries were caused by sports and recreation activities or were related to home structures/furnishings, not holiday-specific activities. Injuries from fireworks were more likely to occur on the Fourth of July than any other holiday, yet fireworks accounted for only 2.9 percent of Fourth of July injuries. Children younger than 5 years old were most at risk of injury. Public health officials and the media have traditionally emphasized preventing holiday-specific injuries, but study authors suggest these efforts should also look at preventing everyday injuries. Parents must continue to be watchful for injury risks even in the excitement of a holiday celebration, and adolescents should be cautioned against becoming reckless because of the holiday atmosphere.

For more information on how to keep children safe, click here

Published
4/5/2010 12:00 AM
The information contained on this Web site should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
joci2203
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I remember when I was in middle school/ highschool almost every memorial weekend someone from my school would die.  Everyone would go to the river or lake, that was the thing to do, and you just knew something bad would happen.  Really sad.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:27 PM
I had a friend drown on Memorial day at a lake :(

Quoting joci2203:

I remember when I was in middle school/ highschool almost every memorial weekend someone from my school would die.  Everyone would go to the river or lake, that was the thing to do, and you just knew something bad would happen.  Really sad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tamidawn
by Baroness on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)