Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong for being upset? (maybe somewhat OT and a bit of a rant)

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok, so let me first say that I do NOT expect people to buy things for my baby. I enjoy getting things for him, of course, especially since I had nothing but a baby blanket and a 24 mo. fleece jacket left over from my now 15 yr old...but I repeat, I do and did NOT just EXPECT gifts...

So, tell me...am I wrong to be upset at the number of people who contacted me saying "I am going to get the baby something, what do you need for him?" They ask for my mailing address so they can "get it out in the mail right away." Then...weeks, sometimes months have gone by with nothing. I wouldn't be upset if they had just not asked me, or if they contacted me and said, "hey sorry, I was going to get a gift, but turns out I just can't." No detailed explanation needed, goodness knows I know the economy is bad...but at least let me know not to expect the mailman or UPS guy to come with a package...otherwise, I am worried it is floating out in the ether, or got delievered to the wrong person...

I was raised to stand by my statements. If I say I will do something, I do it and if I can't for some reason, I let the person know that I can't, so they aren't sitting there waiting for me to do it.

Thanks for letting me rant..

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM
I totally understand and the same happened to me! I bought all of the big ticket items and was told to have a sprinkle so that everyone could get me clothes, diapers, toys, whatever. So I spend all of this money on food and whatnot to have less than half of them show up. Some of them said sorry I couldn't make it, but I have/will get something and now Nicolai is four months old, none of those people have given me anything. It especially peeves me that a few said they had already bought something. Why lie? If you can't or don't want to it's fine, I bought everything I needed, the extra diapers and clothes were a bonus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Completely understandable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

That would upset me too.

joci2203
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I understand.

boshs1andonly
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I understand what you and pp are saying. They are not obligated to buy you anything, but why lie? If you don't want to or can't get me anything, then just don't bring it up. 

Pirate.Mum
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

whew! so glad I am not off in left field! I am not lacking anything at the moment (gotta love Freecycle) but it is just the principal of the matter...

Pirate.Mum
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Quoting boshs1andonly:If you don't want to or can't get me anything, then just don't bring it up. 

EXACTLY!

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I understand your frustration

grapejelly
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM

that is aggravating, especially if they ask what they can get you tell them and then it never comes, but you are waiting on them instead of buying it.

Totally understandable..

luckyme7
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM
I know. I had two coworkers tell me that they missed my shower because they had meetings and that both of them had bought gifts for me. My LO is two and I am yet to see the gifts. For one of them I threw the shower spending over a hundred dollars while I was dealing with infertility. It's not about the stuff, just shows how much they care.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)