Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby can read (speech therapist advised against it)

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM
  • 22 Replies

I was talking to my dd's speach therapy when she was going for feeding issues and she said she doesn't like it because it isn't teaching a child to read only memorizing the words and I do not like it I watched it and my dd fell asleep to it all 4 times. My daughter is 15 months and says sentences already. 

Does your lo watch it do you like it?

I am a proud mama to one little girl and a proud Navy wife to Mark Anthony. 

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM
No, not planning on using it. I taught my son to read by sounding out the letters, not memorizing the words. He's three.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie0908
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM
My dad gave it to me for free so yeah they occasionally watch it. I made a school workbook with printoffs from the internet and I'm working with my 3 year old on letters, numbers, shapes, his name, ect. Its working great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xRockaBrittanyx
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I saw quite a few articles that said it doesn't actually teach reading and it's not a good buy, so nope.

My oldest is almost three, and knows all of his letters by sight, can tell you the sounds most of them make, etc.. no phoney baby reading magic product necessary.

matofour
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM
No never.
It's actually been proven to make learning to really read harder for a child.
I would rather spend money on books.
I also don't understand how a dv teaches a child to read, aap recommends no tv for kids under two. Yet, the sole teaching tool for this product is watching tv.
Nope, never, there are very good ways to teach a child, this is not one of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joci2203
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I am a kindergarten teacher and I also do not recommend it.

tamidawn
by Baroness on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM
No, I've never tried it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:06 PM

They have done studies that show it makes little difference because by 2nd grade, all the other kids catch up.  I didn't bother with it.  Mine are all very smart and doing well. 

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM
My six year old is being taught to read in school via memorization, I don't get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM
From what I understand, it's supposed to give your kids a head start, not be the only thing they learn to read with. If you teach how to sound things out along side of the program, I'm sure it works great. I've heard rave reviews about it. Though I don't put much stock in speech therapists. I've been to a few (was nearly deaf as a young child) and they werent the least bit helpful. All games and snacks and then they'd shrug their shoulders instead of actually working with the children. But I digress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Nope would never do that. I'm in school to become a preschool teacher so I wouldn't do that and learne about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)