Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pretty gross-hint it involves parasites

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:48 AM
  • 6 Replies

So last January I went to Ecuador and tracked Andean bears for about a month and a half.  I didn't know it, but I was pregnant down there. Flash forward to today and I was n the bathroom with my 2 month old baby in her rocker where I could see her. I went to flush and I SAW A BIG WORM IN MY S%*$. I STARTED FREAKING OUT. I called my DF and told him while crying. He got home, put it in a jar and off we went to the ER. The Dr. didn't know what it is so he immedialey sent it off to some specialty lab out of the region. He looked up a antiparasite medication to prescribe me. He found one that he thinks will work. Of course, no pharmacies keep it on hand so I have to wait till Monday to get it. I calle dmy lactation consultant to prepare for not being able to breastfeed. She picked up a pump for me and met me at her office at the hospital. She looked up the medication and it is considered kind of minimal risk while breastfeeding. But, she set me up to store up some milk anyway. She told me about a really great resource for looking up medications. It is the Infant Risk Center at Texas Tech. University. They deal with international medications and such. They have a hotline that takes calls during the workweek. They also have an app, but it costs $30. 

Here's the website with the number: www.infantrisk.com

What I don't get is how did I give birth to a 9 lb. 5 oz baby and produce a lot of milk for her? I also lost 1/3 of my blood supply during the birth and gained it back just 6 weeks later. 

This experience really makes me wish I had stored breast milk up, so that I wouldn't have stressed out so much. 

Afterwards my Df told me I should have been more calm for being a hardened biologist. :/   Yes, I spent a whole semester studying worms and junk in my wildlife class, but it's totally diiferent when its YOUR worm.

I'm not looking forward to future bathroom trips. :(

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Oh mama!! ((Hugs)) how scary for you!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daeraelle
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Did they say if it could have been passed to the baby in the womb?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:54 AM

that would freak me out too!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Oh, that must be awful!  Maybe the worm wasn't alive the whole time, or you are just lucky!  Either way, thank GOD you found out and are getting treated!  I can't imagine that!

Try to stay calm, as the stress could hinder your milk, too.  Rest up, and if possible, just try not to look in the toilet!  I'm sure it will be a bit better when they identify teh worm.  You can use your education to research it so the idea isn't as scary and foreign to you.

Is there any chance this lovely live in could be transferred to others?  Maybe your whole family should get checked quick, just to be on the safe side..

shellyote
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:16 AM
The Dr. Didn't say anything about transmission. From my quick Internet search I'm pretty worried. On the one hand she is really healthy and gaining weight but on the other what if she is mildly infected right now? I feel terrible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellyote
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:36 AM
I called the other clinic. They say to go in on Monday and they can give her medication. I'm a little more relieved, but I don't think Incan sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)