Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are your thoughts on this....

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM
  • 45 Replies
Piercing a baby girl's ears. Opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I'm not totally against it,but we chose to wait until our daughter asked to have hers pierced,but said no sooner than 5 yrs old.She started asking around the time she turned 4 and had them done for her 5th birthday.

ZoeysMom11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
im going to wait for her to make that choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:05 AM

I don't want to do it, b/c I want my child to choose if she wants them or not.

But, my sister had daughters with a Laosian man, and it is part of their social/religious customs to put jewelry on the babies.  So she had their ears pierced as infants in tribute to him.  She said they didn't even notice the piercing going in, and it was super easy to clean because they didn't pick at them much at that age.

I think it's definately something that should be given real thought, but I don't think anything less of Moms who do it.

bradly-jrs-mom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM
When I have a daughter I will get hers done as a baby it's just something we do in my family :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofblueyes
by Ape on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM

No, not until she is old enough to decide on her own.  

JasonsMom2007
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Quoting ZoeysMom11:

im going to wait for her to make that choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wiersma98
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I think it's RIDICULOUS -- and here's why:   if you have ever been 'on the verge' of an infection from a piercing, you know that you start to feel tenderness & discomfort BEFORE there is any redness, swelling or discharge.   How does a baby tell you that??    And -- if your baby is crying & tugging at her ear(s) -- how do you determine whether it's a piercing infection or an EAR infection??

Wait until she's old enough to tell you she wants her ears pierced.   BELIEVE ME -- it will be BEFORE you know it (my now 12-year-old -- who got hers pierced at 9 -- is now begging for a second hole).    Don't rush it -- she'll grow up before you know it!!!

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM
My daughter is only 1 but this is how I feel about it too.

Quoting MrsApple:

I'm not totally against it,but we chose to wait until our daughter asked to have hers pierced,but said no sooner than 5 yrs old.She started asking around the time she turned 4 and had them done for her 5th birthday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GomezMami2908
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:15 AM
3 moms liked this

To each their own.

Same as circumcision, breastfeeding, formula feeding and any other "parental debate" here in CM.

Jenniferv04
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:21 AM

i had both of my girls pierced at 3 months, i had mine as soon as my mom could as well, i grew an allergy to metal but still have my ears pierced to this day though i havent worn earring since my wedding 5 years ago my ears dont close but i still have the option if i want to wear them my now 4 year old LOVES picking out new earrings and we actually have a "rewards" system where if she does her chores (which at this point are cleaning up her toys on adaily basis and not having MAJOR attitude etc with us) for a month, shes allowed 2 bad days a month, she gets to go to claires and pick out 1-2 sets of earrings (usually they are buy one get one or buy one get one 50% only reason she gets two lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)