Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Nap and night time help tips please.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 8 month old, is a very active one and hates to be put down to sleep, Most times I will lay him down and he passes out and not even 15 minutes later he's up to explore...

How can I make him take longer naps?

Our schedual doesn't match the rest of the worlds, so our bedtime is 1AM because of work scheduals and that means baby doesn't get to sleep till 11PM. We don't wake up till around 11AM. Is my putting him to bed so late the cause and factor of him not sleeping through the night? I have tried a bedtime routine, I have tried putting him to bed at 9PM, I have tried the night time baby lotion, and I have tried small amount of rice with a larger tip in the nipple of the bottle (learned not to do that one from his doctor), I'm out of ideas...

How can I make him sleep the whole night through?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hildegarde
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM
Baby's clock starts developing around 3 months and after. You need to make some changes, but it will work. Put baby to bed between 7 & 8 pm, this is when their natural circadian rhythm will best foster sleep. Babies that age can sleep about 10- 11 hrs a night & 2 naps totaling 3 hrs during the day on avg. Wake baby up at the same time every day, ideally 10 or 11 hours after bedtime, 6:30 is good. Get them out in the sun in the morning, keep it dark a few hours before bedtime. The light will help set their clock too. Baby's nap schedule is erratic but will consolidate quickly into big naps when they catch up on sleep. Keep baby awake for 1.5 hours after waking up in the morning & after each nap, no matter how short. Lay baby down sooner if rubbing eyes, yawning etc. if continuing to take 15 minute naps after a few days, keep baby up for 3 hours after waking up in the morning & before bedtime, this helps them separate day & night. Work toward one 45 min to 90 minute nap in the morning and one 1.5 hr to 2.25 hr afternoon nap. DON'T wake the baby up though unless you have to, morning wake up is ok. Their body knows what it needs. They will sleep better at night if they sleep a lot during the day, counterintuitive but still true! Get a consistent routine & stick with it daily. Make sure baby goes to bed with a nice full tummy. People rave about homemade avocado baby food sticking with them all night! I realize if you have a crazy work schedule this all might not be possible, try to have baby sitter do these things, you can nap when baby naps during the day. Try to get on a different work schedule. Good luck!
PEEK05
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Hmm....I don't know. My babies just naturally slept longer as they got older and older.

grapejelly
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM

this, it just takes time i think

Quoting PEEK05:

Hmm....I don't know. My babies just naturally slept longer as they got older and older.

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM
Are you co sleeping? That might help. My kids didn't sleep through the night until after 1. My 13 month old is still waking twice at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM
you guys are lucky!!! I only got 4 hours of sleep last night thanks to my 3 year old!

Quoting grapejelly:

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Bump!

Eldurbin
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM

If we were to cosleep, then he would still think it's play time. He has gotten it into his mind that crib means sleep. I've indeed tried that, it worked when he was only a few months old. I have tried to put him to bed at an earlier time...

Eldurbin
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Thank you, I will try to keep this schedual, well at least try it and see if it works. I hope it does.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Dec. 6, 2011 at 1:17 AM
Send her to me and ill send you my 29mo old great sleeper! Give ya a lil break :0)

Quoting abra:

you guys are lucky!!! I only got 4 hours of sleep last night thanks to my 3 year old!

Quoting grapejelly:

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM
lol!! I have two great sleepers (we sleep trained them as babies). It's my own fault. I'm just paying the piper now.

Quoting carsonsmommytam:

Send her to me and ill send you my 29mo old great sleeper! Give ya a lil break :0)

Quoting abra:

Quoting grapejelly:

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN