Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pedialyte in formula?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I have a question. My 10 week 5 day old daughter has severe milk allergies and very severe reflux. She is on neocate formula and 1 tbsp cereal per ounce of formula. She doesn't seem to want to eat or like the taste of the formula and cereal. She usually takes 2 oz at a time. This morning I replaced 1/2 oz of water in her bottle with strawberry pedialyte for flavor so she might eat better and she drank it right down. Is this ok or should I stop with the pedialyte?
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mami323
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I gave my 9 week  old it because she had diarrea the doc told me to

soon2bemama2008
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
I wouldn't be adding pedialyte. That's for rehydrating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Well she does throw up a lot so I thought it would be ok. This morning she threw up her whole feed.
roody2shoes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

i don't know enough. i do know that babies take a while to adjust to new formulas so i waould call and ask the nurse or doctor. most doctors do not mind questions. it showes that the mothers care enough to be quizitive. that is my impute. good luck.

AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM
She has been on neocate for awhile but I have always had trouble getting her to take it. She just got out of the hospital after a 5 day stay from her severe reflux and was put on a feeding tube since she wouldn't eat.
mami323
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

i do not add formula

sheena696
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

No! Pedialyte is for rehydrating babies when they are sick and/or have diarrhea. You should not be giving it for any other reason. If you baby is hungry, they will eat. This is straight from the company website...

Can I mix Pedialyte with formula?No, we do not recommend mixing Pedialyte with formula. When Pedialyte and formula are mixed together, the nutrient and mineral content of both would change, along with the osmolality. The mixture could also become clumpy and hard for your baby to drink.

BellaMama7
by Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Pedialyte is a great thing it will keep her hydrated! I wouldn't water it down though, Definitely talk to your childs doctor they can give you some idea's as well. I give my ds milk mixed with pedialyte because of flavor and for something a bit different, although he isnt a baby so much anymore. Good luck!

JealousGrrl
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

This!  I've never used formula but you should NEVER add things other than water (or cereal on Drs watch).  That can be dangerous because of the vitamins and whatnot.  

Quoting sheena696:

No! Pedialyte is for rehydrating babies when they are sick and/or have diarrhea. You should not be giving it for any other reason. If you baby is hungry, they will eat. This is straight from the company website...

Can I mix Pedialyte with formula?No, we do not recommend mixing Pedialyte with formula. When Pedialyte and formula are mixed together, the nutrient and mineral content of both would change, along with the osmolality. The mixture could also become clumpy and hard for your baby to drink.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

This the only reason you should give Pedialyte is to rehydrate and IF that is the case formula fed babies can drink strictly pedialyte for up to 24 hours to rehydrate. That is what our pediatrician told me when my son was sick and wouldn't eat/drink anything.

Quoting sheena696:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

"Statistics don't lie, but you can lie with statistics"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)