• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having trouble with the baby cereal

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM
  • 24 Replies

so my baby's dr told us to start feeding him by spoon baby cereal. i finally got him to start eating it and he would throw up for all day and most the next. the dr told us to stop for a few weeks ...should i be worried? im afraid he will be behind

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lexa86
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM
how much are you feeding & what milk/formula do you use? if you nurse but put formula in the cereal- maybe a lactose intolerance. does he spit up a lot regularly or just with the cereal? my daughter didn't like cereal- i gave her sweet potatoes instead. nursing is all the nutrition he needs as long as you are eating right/enough and keep up the vitamins so he doesn't steal all your vit/minerals :)
slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
How old is he? Rice cereal is a bad first food. Nutrionally void avacados are a better choice, also bananas and soft boiled egg yolks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_4509
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
If he was throwing up for a couple days and told u all to stop cereal it's to make sure he's not allergic to it . They say to do that with baby food . If u feed him a new jar of food every day they say to wait a few days to make sure they don't have an allergic reaction
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitlynherring
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

There is no need to feed baby cereal. 

White rice cereal is one of the most commonly recommended first foods for infants. It is easy to make, easy for infants to eat, and easy to sell to parents since it is fortified with important vitamins and minerals like iron.

It is also bad for your baby.

What's Wrong with White Rice Cereal?

According to Stanford-based pediatrician Dr. Alan Greene, a lot.

"The number one ingredient in what we call rice 'cereal' is processed white rice flour. That's all the rice there is. There are also some vitamins and minerals sprinkled in that babies could easily get in other ways. These don't make this gateway junk food healthy ... Metabolically, it's not that different from giving babies a spoonful of sugar."

Feeding your infant white rice cereal is the equivalent of feeding him sugar? Yes, and it only gets worse. Dr. Greene believes that not only is the cereal nutritionally bad for babies, but also that its consumption sets our children up for health problems later in life.

Ever wonder why so many children (and adults) prefer to eat white breads and highy processed foods? Consider Dr. Greene's theory that flavor preferences are influenced by our first foods. If a highly processed cereal is the most consumed food in a child's first year of life, it only makes sense that the child will prefer processed foods later on.

First Food Alternatives

White rice cereal might be bad for our babies, but it is still frequently the first choice of parents and pediatricians. This doesn't have to be the case. There are many healthier alternatives for baby's first foods. If you're trying to decide what solid foods to introduce to your baby, consider some of the following options:

• whole grain baby cereal
  • avocado
  • sweet potato (cooked until soft)
  • mashed banana

New parents often have many questions about when and how to start their babies on solid foods. Unfortunately, it's easy to get conflicting advice.

If Dr. Greene gets his way, though, the confusion over white rice cereal will soon come to an end. Last year, he founded White Out, a national campaign dedicated to getting white rice cereal out of babies' mouths for good. The campaign has seen tremendous success, and more and more parents and pediatricians are finally getting the message that every baby's first food should be a real food.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this
It will not negatively affect his development at all if you wait or skip it entirely. Babies need nothing but milk the first year, solids are simply fun/experimenting/etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harream
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Have you tried mixing the cereal with water? I do a few feedings with pumped milk (if your breastfeeding) then mix it with water and then add a little fruit baby food with it after about a couple weeks. Also is it rice cereal? My kids were allergic to it, I had to do single grain oatmeal.

Good luck, hope you find something that works soon.

ColieO
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Cereal is a waste of money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babicakes24
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

hes 5 months old. and we put cereal in his bottle every feeding and he does fine. its just by spoon. i dont get it. i mix it with water. i have put a dab of sugar free apple juice for flavor

harream
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

It will not negatively affect his development at all if you wait or skip it entirely. Babies need nothing but milk the first year, solids are simply fun/experimenting/etc.

This is not always true, I know someone who didn't feed her baby till he was 16 months old and now he doesn't like to eat anything and he is 3 or almost (not sure). To me 16 months is to long to wait!!! Now I do agree that as long as baby is happy and healthy to put off the food as long as you can, I waited 7 1/2 months with my son and wish I would of waited longer with my girls :-( My dr said no longer than 9 months cause then some babies wont eat at all.

harream
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quoting Babicakes24:

hes 5 months old. and we put cereal in his bottle every feeding and he does fine. its just by spoon. i dont get it. i mix it with water. i have put a dab of sugar free apple juice for flavor

I'd say skip the juice for now and maybe quite putting in his bottle. It's not a good idea to do that and maybe then he would do fine with a spoon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)