Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn question

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 29 Replies
I am keeping my friends one month old daughter. Apparently they had a long sleepless night and now she doesn't want me to let her sleep so that she has a chance of sleeping tonight and can get on a schedule.

I can tell this baby is sleepy, but I've been trying to respect my friend and keep the baby awake. She is getting pissed that she is awake and is falling right to sleep when I lay her on my chest.

Anyways, it just doesn't feel right keeping her up.. With my daughter we just got a routine and it got her on a schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
She's a month old. If my babies wanted to sleep, they slept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
She is only a month old...let her sleep for a little bit, there is no way a one month old can stay awake all day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexa86
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM

newborns are the boss. they havent developed wants yet- everything they 'want' is a need. try feeding her some more and if she zonks out, put her down

lexa86
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

if you really want to help, let your friend sleep while you watch baby- being a new mom is exhausting. she just needs a break. newborns eat around the clock every 2hrs until they start eating a little more a little less often- momma will be sleep deprived for a while. if she doesnt have other kids- she's gonna have to sleep when baby does: all day between feedings :)

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM
That's what I did. I told my friend how much she is wanting to sleep and now I'm about to take her home.

Quoting lexa86:

newborns are the boss. they havent developed wants yet- everything they 'want' is a need. try feeding her some more and if she zonks out, put her down

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyWife0927
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quoting hollinicole:

She is only a month old...let her sleep for a little bit, there is no way a one month old can stay awake all day

Exactly! My 3 week old sleeps 80% of the day. Is this her first baby? I don't think there is a way to put a newborn on a schedule, they are just too young!

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
She also has a 13 month old do I know she is exhausted. Her other daughter will sleep through the night though and goes to say care during the day. I want to help her as much as I can but I have a very active 1 yr old of my own that isn't in daycare.

Quoting lexa86:

if you really want to help, let your friend sleep while you watch baby- being a new mom is exhausting. she just needs a break. newborns eat around the clock every 2hrs until they start eating a little more a little less often- momma will be sleep deprived for a while. if she doesnt have other kids- she's gonna have to sleep when baby does: all day between feedings :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM

ya thats what they do at that age. thats nomal behavior for a newborn.  let the poor baby sleep!

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

keeping her awake is not going to make her sleep better tonight!  Newborns need to sleep during the day, personally i think it's cruel to keep her up i'd let her take a short nap...

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM
It's not the poor newborn's fault that mom has an older child. Smh, if you wanna have more than one kid, especially super close in age, you ARE going to be exhausted, the kids shouldn't have to suffer. I'm sorry your friend put you in this position.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)