Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help.. bfing,

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
  • 18 Replies

so this is my thirs boy, 

with my 2nd i had to stop bfing at 4 months due to mastitis, blocked ducts, and trush in my breast.. i almost lost my left breast due to this

now Lee is 1 month old, and so far bfing had been going well, but my left side isnt priducing much, even if i go hrs< i went 8 hrs xmas day w/o feeding or pumping> it dosent get largeer like my right side

and its been in pain everyday for the past week, not inflamed and no thrush  just achy and shooting pains

could this be from my history>? or could it be the startings of mastitis and blocked ducts again?

is there anything i can do to help it? or to make my supply more ample in that side?

i pump/feed every 2 hrs

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennjune1984
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Pump or feed often.  And you can either take some herbal supplements or try to eat oatmeal.  My boobs were like that too.  Actually they never really grew (went from an A to a small B), but I still fed my son for 14 months.  So good luck!

2boysmommy.js
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

im no worried about making enough milk, i know i do  im more worried that its just the ONE side that ie had seer issues with in teh past that isnt producing and is hurting

when i pump i get 2-3 oz on right side and .5-1oz on left size

Quoting jennjune1984:

Pump or feed often.  And you can either take some herbal supplements or try to eat oatmeal.  My boobs were like that too.  Actually they never really grew (went from an A to a small B), but I still fed my son for 14 months.  So good luck!

mrsrose22710
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

My left boob produces about half the amount of milk that my right one does.  I was also worried about underlying problems b/c after I had the baby I breast fed my baby and got a clogged milk duct on the left side that was very painful.  I haven't had any pain or tenderness on the left side.  I no longer breast feed, I just pump about every two to three hours.  When I am due to pump both breasts are equally swollen, but still the left produces less.  It has been like this for the last week and so far no signs of another clogged duct.  I have since bought the Yogi Tea for Nursing Mothers.  You drink two to three cups of it a day.  I don't think that it has really increased my overall milk production, but have noticed that my left and right boob are beginning to produce milk at a more even rate. 

lauratupper
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

It's normal for one side to produce more than the other, you could try nursing and pumping more on the left to see if that will help it make more. Also hot compresses will help the pains.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM
It's normal to have uneven production, your pump output on the "bad" side is actually normal pump output for both sides combined. When you go a long time between feeding on that side, you are actually doing the opposite of what you intend and will lower supply further on that side. You might be getting a plugged duct (which can lead to mastitis) from going so long without nursing that breast. The more baby nurses that side, the more milk it will make. If for some reason you decided to quit using that side, the other side would just make more. You can breastfeed from one breast only. It's always supply & demand, even from side to side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Mana-
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

When I had plugged ducts, what helped clear them was to soak a washcloth in hot water and then put it on the sore part of my breast for a couple minutes, then nurse on that breast right away. Cleared up in no time!

My right breast produces more too and we've been BFing for 6 months today :) So there's nothing unusual or troublesome about that. But if you want to get supply up on that side, nurse more on it. But if you're worried about supply, try not to go so long without nursing/pumping because that will hurt your supply.

angela.bouchard
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

bump

2boysmommy.js
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM
i cant really nurse or pump more than every two hrs. Thats about how long he goes. And i always offer the left side first, im more worried about the pains, i have a dr apt but cant get in for ten more days.. And with as bad ss things got with my niddle child i hope thats not too long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Nursing every two hours is fine. I thought you said you went 8 hours trying to get it to feel full.
When baby is nursing (or pumping), massage the breast to help get more out & clear the clogs. Also get in a hot shower and hand express and massage your breasts to also help work them out.

Quoting 2boysmommy.js:

i cant really nurse or pump more than every two hrs. Thats about how long he goes. And i always offer the left side first, im more worried about the pains, i have a dr apt but cant get in for ten more days.. And with as bad ss things got with my niddle child i hope thats not too long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2boysmommy.js
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM

no i said i went 8 hrs on xmas, baby was asleep most of the day  and we were out, and i had no where to pump, and wasnt comfy bfing in front of those ppl so he had bottle when he was hungry.

Quoting larissalarie:

Nursing every two hours is fine. I thought you said you went 8 hours trying to get it to feel full.
When baby is nursing (or pumping), massage the breast to help get more out & clear the clogs. Also get in a hot shower and hand express and massage your breasts to also help work them out.

Quoting 2boysmommy.js:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)