Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler hit baby - whgat would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM
  • 4 Replies
This happened to me the other day and I yelled to make a point and put toddler in her room. I wanted to make a very strong point, but fear I did the wrong thing (and feel terribly terribly guilty). What are some useful alternatives??

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Starleet
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Tell her not to do it and explain that it will hurt the baby and it she repeatedly does it, try time out.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It's probably jealousy. I would just try to stay calm if it happens again and tell her it's not okay to hit and she could hurt the baby. At this point there's a fine line between discipline and encouraging the jealously, (in her eyes that is). Try to include her as much as possible and also have some one on one time without the baby.

LAmom1019
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM

My four year old niece lives with me. My daughter is 1. There is a lot of tension between the two. For instance my niece thinks it's okay to play with my daughter's toys but when my daughter touches something of hers she throws a huge fit over it. I explain to her that Carebears share and she should share with her cousin. So far it's working.

MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I have a toddler & baby. He hit her by accident and so I took him aside, gently explained she's much smaller than him so he must be careful aroun her. Then I had him apologize, kiss her & then play nicely with her. But if he did it on purpose he would get a much stronger talking to & time out in his room.

Also, try to make sure & do some one on one time with him without the baby doing big boy things & snuggling just the two of you. (and daddy too.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)