• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What type of baby milk to switch to after a year old?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 43 Replies
My baby is 12 months old now and supposed to be off baby formula. I don't know what type of milk product to give him. He drinks Similac Soy. I tried lactose milk for three days he was grumpy, sore stomache, constipation, and his exema came out all over! I stopped and put him back on Soy formula. I was looking at regular Soy milk. I have not tried it myself the label says not to substitute it for formula. There are also other favors chocolate, vanilla, berry blend. I also saw almond milk, goats milk. I just don't know what to try.
Then I was thinking maybe I should just keep him on bby formula and get him off the bottle. He is so allergic to everything! I can't have him sick. The sitter wont take him when he is under the weather. Any suggestions? Open to other mom's advice out there!
~Fishette~
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daydreamer86
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Take him to an allergist. There are other types like almond, coconut and rice milks as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Was it lactose free milk you tried? It sounds like he has a milk protein allergy? Lactose free still has milk protein in it, just no lactose which is different. I wouldn't use the flavored milks as they have too much sugar. It's okay to keep him on formula for awhile longer if you like. I personally don't like soy so we use almond milk for my son, and my daughter doesn't drink any milk at all. It's techinically not needed. My daughter eats lots of veggies and drinks OJ with Vit. D and calcium in place of any milk per her GI. She will be 2 next month. I don't think she's ever had more than a sip or 2 of any kind of milk other than breastmilk. Any nut allergies? If so, almond milk may not work. Goat milk has a very similar protein structure as cow milk so a lot of cow milk allergic babies don't tolerate goat's milk. There is also oat milk, rice milk, hemp milk, etc. You could give formula in his sippy though while you transition if you want him off the bottle. Have you explained to your sitter that food allergies/intolerances aren't the same as being sick? It's not contagious.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
If you can afford the formula, it's fine to keep using. Most people are just eager to give cheaper milk. They soy is ok after 1, at that point since baby doesn't have to be on formula, you aren't substituting it (although personally I'm not for the use of soy milk) I think you should avoid the flavored milks because they have a ton of excess sugar. You can use almond, coconut, or rice milk as well; just make sure baby is getting plenty of healthy fat from other sources since those are low-fat options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM

lol at our replies!

Quoting larissalarie:

If you can afford the formula, it's fine to keep using. Most people are just eager to give cheaper milk. They soy is ok after 1, at that point since baby doesn't have to be on formula, you aren't substituting it (although personally I'm not for the use of soy milk) I think you should avoid the flavored milks because they have a ton of excess sugar. You can use almond, coconut, or rice milk as well; just make sure baby is getting plenty of healthy fat from other sources since those are low-fat options.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
DEEANNALAMB81
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Ty was on the similac soy too, after her turned one I started buying the similac soy toddler formula. I've been giving him the toddler formula and slowly introducing cows milk, right now we are up to 4oz a day. He hasn't shown any problems with cows milk yet..... Fingers crossed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and lactose free milk still has milk protein which is what he's likely allergic to, lactose (milk sugar) intolerance in babies is almost unheard of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I know! JINX!

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

lol at our replies!

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAmom1019
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My daughter was on Similac Advance & had no problems. Right before she turned 1 year I started introducing her to cows milk (Vitamin D) and she's been on it since with no problems.

unbeso
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Almond Milk!  He loves it.  It has 30% daily calcium and many sources say the calcium is way easier for the body to actually absorb than cow's milk.  Plus you don't have to worry about all the hormones that the pump into the cow's so they produce more milk...and it eliminates the problems with digesting cow's milk.  I tried cow's milk at first, but then my son kept throwing it up.  I've been really happy with the Almond Milk.

BettyBlythe
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Why give any milk?
Water is nice. You can get calcium and whatever else is in milk from a healthy diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)