Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Do you let your baby cry it out?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:57 AM
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was 19 when I had  my son , and everyone told me to let him cry it out. Now I am tottaly regretting not!

I currently watch a 1 year old little girl ( just turned 1 last month) and have been watching her since she was 3 months. Now I had worked in day care for 4 years and know that once a child hits age 1 they only take one nap a day. Well with this little girl, she gets tired around 2 or 3 and I let her go to sleep. Just today her mother told me to try and keep her up, because last night she was up at midnight running around. Well,  I felt like saying "let her cry it out!".  But I know it's not my place to say that. I know some people think it's cruel, but after all I've been through with my son, ( he didnt go to bed on his own til he was over 3! and would get up every couple of hours!- now at age 4 every now and then he still gets up !) .  Once a child knows they can get away with things, they will continue to do it. - That's another thing I learned with my son!.. 

So how do you feel about letting your baby cry it out?

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candycrz
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM
I let connor my 2 year old cio but never before 6 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xx.felisha.xx
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I used cry it out method since 3 or 4 months old. I don't regret it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I start some cio at six months. It really depends on the situation though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mare1180
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM
7 moms liked this
I do not cio and never will
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BettyBlythe
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM
8 moms liked this
I will never let my baby cry it out. I had my daughter at 19 as well, she is only 20 months. CIO really hurts babies developmentally, I wanna prove to my DD I'm here for her no matter if it's 3 am. I believe attending to her needs will help her be a confident , loving child & adult. Parenting doesn't stop at 9 pm, no matter how old the kid is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kamrynlily07
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this
My son is16 months and if he takes a late nap then he won't be tired at bedtime either, so I understand where the mom is coming from.

As far as crying it out...never have and never will. I believe that is lazy and cruel. Schedules work much better for my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inkaholicj
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I have never let them cry it out.  I do occasionally let them cry/fuss until I finish what I am doing, but otherwise I will be there for them.  

I've had bedtime issues with my older two.  My daughter had horrible acid reflux.  She was walked and danced to sleep until she was almost 4 years old.  My older son is severely asthmatic and also had acid reflux.  He needed so much care that he was hardly put down and when he was he was sleeping in a cradle swing.  My youngest will go to sleep on his own in his crib after nursing.  He's definitely the easiest.  

erikays
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM
No, we tried with my oldest and he would make himself sick. We said never again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM
No it's not for us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedToBeMe
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM

CIO is not for us. I tried it with my oldest at 1 but felt too bad about her crying so I stopped

As for the little girl your watching, I would tell her mom you will try to get her to lay down earlier but that your not gonna try to get her to not nap at all. I use to watch kids & it can be a total pain trying to deal with an overly sleep little one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)