Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

tell me about cloth diapers

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM
  • 9 Replies
My baby girl is 14 months old today O:-) I've bought a few cloth diapers. Baby Beehinds (zulily) 3 covers & this fuzzy bamboo that has 2? inserts. Why it has 2 idk. Then I bought some of those padded cloth diapers I figured I could fold & put inside the covers. I know I need more than this right? I went on amazon & my heads swimming. So many brands, all these different pieces, disposable liners. I'm lost. Could y'all please (with sugar on top) help me? Tricks, tips, brand preferences anything.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I would join the cuties with cloth booties group on here. Also don't go on amazon :) that is going to be so confusing! go to www.cottonbabies.com it sounds like you are interested in prefolds? Cotton babies has both chinese prefolds and unbleached indian ones (what I preferred) and many different cover options. 

I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned. Is that a pocket diaper?

jayme1978
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting angela.bouchard:

I would join the cuties with cloth booties group on here. Also don't go on amazon :) that is going to be so confusing! go to www.cottonbabies.com it sounds like you are interested in prefolds? Cotton babies has both chinese prefolds and unbleached indian ones (what I preferred) and many different cover options. 

I think the fuzzy one is a pocket diaper because the inserts come out & have little snaps to hold it in place. The others are just covers so I have to stuff em (snicker) DH said to use toilet paper. He thinks he's funny. Thanks for the link!!
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM

:)

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jayme1978:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

I think the fuzzy one is a pocket diaper because the inserts come out & have little snaps to hold it in place. The others are just covers so I have to stuff em (snicker) DH said to use toilet paper. He thinks he's funny. Thanks for the link!!

It sounds like a fuzzy one is an Ai2, which is why is came with two inserts.   You can just replace the insert and reuse the cover if the actual cover isn't soiled on.

A pocket will have a layer of material between the insert and baby and you stuff the insert into the pocket.   Ai2's just have a snap in insert (aka soaker) that goes right up against baby.

The prefolds you got, where did you get them and what kind?   Some of the gerber prefolds you get in the store aren't actually cloth diapers.  They're burp rags.   If you buy gerber, you want to be sure to get the "premium" ones.... but getting some from cottonbabies, or green mountain diapers would be better. 

Really, you just want to try them and see what you like.  From there, the option are endless, really.   Prefolds are the most basic, but the basic theory with all cloth diapers is the same.  Absorbant inner and waterproof/repellant outter.   The difference is in the materials and how they're put together.

Also, if you have any fleece pants, those can be used as a cover with a prefold either snappi'd or pinned on.  :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
abra
by Abra on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Usually one insert is bigger then the other, one is for night and one is for day time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

you probably need at least 2 dozen diapers.  3 covers should probably be enough though because when their dirty you can just rinse them in the sink and they hang dry in a couple hours.

MamaSulli2005
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
If you want to get a lot of diapers for a good price that are super easy, get econobums, fold up the prefold, lay it in the cover, snap, and done. Wipe out the cover at changes and reuse. I also like Bummis and Flip were ok when baby had fatter legs but not so much now. Definitely join cuties with cloth booties!
jayme1978
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Quoting cabrandy03:

you probably need at least 2 dozen diapers.  3 covers should probably be enough though because when their dirty you can just rinse them in the sink and they hang dry in a couple hours.

Excellent tip. I would never had thought to do that.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM

bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)