Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This week is Feeding Tube Awareness Week - Ask me anything

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

This week is Feeding Tube Awareness Week. I have a 15 month old son has a Feeding Tube you can ask me any question if you want about feeding tubes/or my baby. 

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

BUMP!

i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

bump

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM
When did you find out he needed a feeding tube? Why does he need one? Will he always need one?

Can't think of any more right now :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

We found out that he needed a tube about 2 weeks after he was born. He wasn't eating like he was suppose to and aspirating some. He was diagnosed 'failure to thrive' and he wasn't gaining eight just loosing it. He can't get the hang out of the swallowing, breathing and sucking motion either even if the liquid is thicker. He probably will always need one.

mem82
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM

How long does it take for him to eat a whole meal?

Do you feed him on a prescribed schedule or do you just watch for signs of hunger?

Do you have a babysitter you feel comfortable feeding him?

I have an adopted, uncle in law who used to need a feeding tube but when he got about 16, therapy helped him reach the point where he can do like a half mouth and half tube schedule.

TexasKaty
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Is it always the same "food?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM

He "eats" formula it's a pedisure, almost like what you would buy for your normal child but doesn't taste like anything and just goes to his tube. He is on a feeding machine that we put the info he needs for it to be programmed and it runs. We take him about 2 hours or so a day to rest his tummy. Sometimes it's easier when we are shopping to take him off his feed, one less tube we got to wire about. We have never allowed someone non family to watch Austin. My mil is a nurse so she's dealt with it before. Plus we have trained my SIL and her Dh and my parents how to watch him. So if I need to go to an appointment or need a date night with DH than they watch him for us. Like this weekend I'm doing a spa night with some girls and my parents are watching him for me! That's so awesome about your uncle!!

Quoting mem82:

How long does it take for him to eat a whole meal?

Do you feed him on a prescribed schedule or do you just watch for signs of hunger?

Do you have a babysitter you feel comfortable feeding him?

I have an adopted, uncle in law who used to need a feeding tube but when he got about 16, therapy helped him reach the point where he can do like a half mouth and half tube schedule.

i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Yes it is! He doesn't taste it like we would taste food so it probably wouldn't be something I'd give to me 3 year old. But it's just formula - Predisure for his feeding tube.

Quoting TexasKaty:

Is it always the same "food?"

angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Is the tube the same kind they use in the hospital? 

AshlynnJadesMom
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM
My daughter had a feeding tube when she had a severe episode with her reflux and it burned her throat lining. She was in the hospital on the tube and it killed me. I hope some day your baby boy can eat on his own:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)