• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me out here

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was wondering is I could get some help. I am a first time mom so it is all new to me. DS is 7 months old and he still can't feed himself. He doesn't even eat much baby food which the doctor says is ok. I gave him some of those puff things for babies that dissolve quick. At first he did ok but when he went to swallow he choked. I had to stick my finger down his throat to make him throw it up. So I'm at loss as to when he will have anything solid without it being a chocking hazard. Any advice would be great.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
soon2bemama2008
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM
First off NEVER stick your finger down his throat. You can push whatever is in his mouth further down this throat.

Second it takes practice. Just keep offering them. Maybe cut them in half for now. Both my girls started on regular food at 8-9 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
x0jadensmama0x
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM
It's okay! My daughter had problems like that till she was like 13 months, she's 16 months now and can finally feed herself andesite out choking, she's just a really picky eater, lol. But she didn't eat much baby food either, but as long as they get enough formular or breast milk they should be fine. I know how stressful it is. Hang in there it will get easier, an if the drs say she's fine, than I'm sure she is!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
At 7 months, solids are still just for practice. Wait a month or so and then offer again. He has the next 80 or 90 years to eat solids, so there's really no reason to rush him now if he's just not ready :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Quoting larissalarie:

At 7 months, solids are still just for practice. Wait a month or so and then offer again. He has the next 80 or 90 years to eat solids, so there's really no reason to rush him now if he's just not ready :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Bump!

Katherine696997
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Quoting soon2bemama2008:

First off NEVER stick your finger down his throat. You can push whatever is in his mouth further down this throat.

Second it takes practice. Just keep offering them. Maybe cut them in half for now. Both my girls started on regular food at 8-9 months.

cassie19831
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM

It scared me so bad I didn't have time to think. I will remember not to and avoid it.

Quoting soon2bemama2008:

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
At 7months they don't need to be feeding themselves. It's quite early. They also don't need to be on solids, it's mostly for play and practice. Sounds like your baby isn't ready yet. Maybe stop and hold off for a few weeks and try again then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)