• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who feed cereal in a bottle only ( I have a question)

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
  • 35 Replies
So I've been giving my 4 month old cereal in her bottle for about 3 weeks now per the dr because her acid reflux was so bad I started with a bottle and night with it and then a bottle in the morning too with it and now she hardly wants to just drink her formula without cereal in it. Dr also just told her to start her on jars of food stage one and I'm just wondering have any of you experienced the same thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsbrand
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
That seems really early to me. I think I would be asking another pediatrician and/or a child nutritionalist.
MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't formula feed or feed cereal to my kids. Especially not in a bottle. I just wanted to add for those who do not have specific orders to give cereal in a bottle should not as it's a choking hazard (for reflux babies it's a comparison of which is worse a possibility of choking or the reflux).

Why is your doc suggesting food so soon? Usually you shouldn't start solids before 6 months. Is it another thing to do with reflux?

Also, it's cheaper and healthier to make your own purees & doesn't really take that long to do it. I'd check out the book Everything Organic for babies & toddlers for recipes/instructions if you're interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smwilliams
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM
My doctor also recommend that I start my so on solids. But he isn't having a problem with eating it. He likes the cereal,a lot and he loves squash, and carrots but I'm going to start him on a green soon. All babies are different in how they grow , its not too early for your baby to start eating solids, if your baby is telling you that she is ready. Also my son is 4 months old as well . I give him formula w/ cereal in the bottle and I mix a little formula into the squash . N even if he doesn't like it, keep trying. Also my doc. Told me to start w/ just veggies , you want them to like though when their older. also I give him water with his mashed foods , in a bottle , becuase he get thirst as he's eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lani-mommi
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Yea the dr thinks she is ready for the solids because she only wants formula if it has rice cereal in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lani-mommi
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm only asking moms who are in the same situation as me

Quoting mrsbrand:

That seems really early to me. I think I would be asking another pediatrician and/or a child nutritionalist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smwilliams
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
My doc. Said he was ready because he is eating SO much formula. Like 50something bottles a day, I hadn't thought anything of it since he sleeps through the night,and he won't stop moving during the day. But the only problem I've come across so fat is he loops n he Crys but its jot happening as much anymore cuz I'm giving him water w/ his food to make it softer. But also he recommend it cuz Ash has 1 tooth and his 2nd is growing in .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lani-mommi
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM
How old is your son

Quoting smwilliams:

My doc. Said he was ready because he is eating SO much formula. Like 50something bottles a day, I hadn't thought anything of it since he sleeps through the night,and he won't stop moving during the day. But the only problem I've come across so fat is he loops n he Crys but its jot happening as much anymore cuz I'm giving him water w/ his food to make it softer. But also he recommend it cuz Ash has 1 tooth and his 2nd is growing in .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrand
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

sorry thought i would post anything to try and get others involved in the convo. 

Quoting Lani-mommi:

I'm only asking moms who are in the same situation as me

Quoting mrsbrand:

tiffanyhyatt
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Ok if you are doing cereal to help with reflux, you should be doing it in every bottle. Because you are only helping when its in there. It thicker there for easier to keep down and doesn't come back up, the bottles without it are coming back up on your baby. Oh and I know it sounds like a lot buit there should be 1 tablespoon of cereal per oz of water.

All of this came form a ped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smwilliams
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting Lani-mommi:

How old is your son

Quoting smwilliams:

4 months 2 weeks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)