Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding: getting feeding time to decrease

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter is 8 weeks old and for a while would do 15-20 min feedings...well she's gone back to doing 30-40 min feedings. Does anyone have advice on how to get her back to the shorter feeding times? Or is there a real reason behind the increased time it takes for her to nurse to satisfaction?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rissarin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM

It takes as long as it takes... there could be any number of reasons for it and it will change a lot over the next year with growth spurts, teething, separation anxiety, etc...   Do you have a wrap or a sling?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
EthansMomma129
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Breastfed babies feed on demand. They go back and forth. Some are quick eaters some take longer. I dont think theres anything you can do. It seems like shes gotten uses to your flow as its regulated. Now theres a difference between eating and comfort nursing. If shes eating the whole time you just have to let her do her thing. Good luck and good job! A lot of mamas have a hard time making it to where you are :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM
There shouldn't be any time put upon them. Depending on how your supply is, it might take her longer to fill up now with her growing body. Or she may be hitting a growth spurt and need more. It's something you really can't hurry, she'll go back to quick feedings when she's ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skylarkdancer
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Thanks for the quick replies...she's hard to keep awake sometimes and I'll take her off she'll wake up and fuss then promptly go back to sleep when I put her back on...its a vicious cycle sometimes. I've tried the cold cloth, tickling the feet etc...advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeepJeep
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Our three month old is a snacker. He loves to eat for 10 minutes, then nap for 10 minutes, and so on. I wish he would eat in one stretch of 20 or 30 minutes, but that's not how he operates. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof2grls06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

This. If she's hungry, she's going to nurse for as long as it takes to make her full. You should never put time limits on a breastfed baby. In fact, go ahead and turn all the clocks around because clocks and breastfeeding have no business being in the same sentence. lol. 

Quoting Turtledoves:

There shouldn't be any time put upon them. Depending on how your supply is, it might take her longer to fill up now with her growing body. Or she may be hitting a growth spurt and need more. It's something you really can't hurry, she'll go back to quick feedings when she's ready.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM
At 8 weeks old, she shouldn't need to be woken up still. If she's going to sleep, she's probably full. Offer it again when she wakes up.

I cosleep, so my baby latches on and off by herself all night. Sometimes she won't sleep (especially for naps) if she's not latched

Quoting skylarkdancer:

Thanks for the quick replies...she's hard to keep awake sometimes and I'll take her off she'll wake up and fuss then promptly go back to sleep when I put her back on...its a vicious cycle sometimes. I've tried the cold cloth, tickling the feet etc...advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)