Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My son won't finish his bottle and he looks skinny.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM
  • 37 Replies

My son will be 6 months on the 13th and til this day he won't finish his bottle.... he never did. Everytime I take him to his appointments i'm told his some % below the percentile. I had a great pregnancy, no illness, no complications, nothing. He was born 7lbs 15.4oz and 19 1/2 in. He has an appointment on the 15th and I just don't want to be told the same thing... AGAIN. He's really active, up to date with everything; his milestones are on point to. He doesn't look chubby and neither has rolls... anywhere. I make him 6oz every 4 hrs but he only takes 2, I give him baby food but not as often as I did with m other 2. I figured that if I give him more baby food he won't want the bottle and I already have that problem. I'm giving him infant vitamins for 3 days now, and so far no change. Is there anything I can try or is my baby going to be underweight like me? Any advice/ suggestions are welcome. I just don't like it when his Dr. gives me the speech when I have tried what she suggested.

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Some kids are just smaller. Both my girls have always been in the lower percentile, but perfectly healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C8Baxter
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM
7 moms liked this
Your baby is going to be the weight he's gonna be and fit on the charts where he's going to fit. Feed him when he's hungry. Count wet and dirty dipes. And stop worrying about the charts. Don't let your pediatrician belittle you. If your child isn't starving or dehydrated....you're doing just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy092011
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Try giving him the 2 oz but try a feeding of 2 oz every hour & a half. Yes I know sounds like you will be feeding all day but that's what we had to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Quoting abra:

Some kids are just smaller. Both my girls have always been in the lower percentile, but perfectly healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

He is gaining weight though right? My daughter was and is always within the 25 percentile but the doctor didn't care because she's growing and maintaining in that range. The doctor knows that she's going to be a small person.

BlessedToBeMe
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My 7 months old has always been on the small side(well he was 8lbs at birth but after that). I think at his 6 month check up he was in the 6th percentile. He's always been between the 10-15 but since he started crawling he dropped off a bit.

His doctor isn't worried, like she told me "someone has to be in the bottom end of the percentile". If he is following HIS growth curve that's all that should matter. If your doctor doesn't understand that, I would look for one that does

mommaT1983
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM
I would think that as long he is eating and gaining weight then you're doing fine. Maybe the amount you're giving him in his bottles is too much? Less ounces more often might help. For example he normally gets 6oz every 4 hours try 3oz every 2 to 3 hours? My oldest never drank more than 6 oz at a time even at 10-11 months. You're doing great momma and keep up the good work!!
lilmamiz07
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I just hope I didn't do this. I used to breastfeed and formula since day 1. I always had the milk supply at a proud level but when on the breast alot of forceful amount will come out and he would stop, apart from that he loved the breast but not the bottle. And since he will stop nursing because of the massive amount he wouldn't get the hindmilk. so I was told to pump but he wouldn't take the bottle he wanted the breast. Then I was told to nurse for 5 minutes each breast and then give him the bottle but he wouldn't take it... it got worse when he started sleeping through the night when he was a month old cause he wouldn't eat for more than 5 hrs neither he would make up during the day. Maybe all that "closed" his stomach and now I have trouble with him eating. I don't find it to be a problem but everytime, every appointment I'm told and get obsessed with the whole issue. UGH.

lilmamiz07
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I also forgot to mention that he holds his bottle and I think he thinks he's grown... so he drinks, spits it out and plays with his bottle. And mommaT1983 I've tried that too but he starts gaging. Tho yesterday he drank a whole 6 oz but it was because the previous day he barely drank any milk. And the Dr. always tells me that he's long for his age... maybe that has something to do with.

slransde
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM
My DS had his 4 month check up yesterday- he's only in the 22% for weight by 60% for height. My pediatrician says he fine and you should never compare to "the brute down the street". Not all babies are gonna be big, doesn't mean they aren't healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)