Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Days Old And Not Wanting to Eat

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:23 AM
  • 17 Replies

I had my little man on the 9th. And he's always been a little fussy at the breast, but they said while in there not to worry about how long it was taking between feedings, that it was just a first day thing and that he'd eventually be more alert and want to eat more often. 

Well he's still at about 4-5 hours apart for feedings, and then only for about 15 minutes. He's only had about  2 wet diapers today, and 2 poopy ones. He just sleeps all the time and is hard to wake up, and then once he does, he's not really interested in feeding. I'm not sure what to do, we even tried one of the little ready made formual bottles we left the hospital with, wasn't even interested in that. 

I'm just really worried, we're going to call the Well Baby Clinic tomorrow and see what they say, at our appt today he had lost more weight and his jaundice levels went up and they said to wake him every two hours and try to feed him, but he is hard to keep up at everytwo hours and maybe eats for 3 minutes before falling right back asleep, so that hasn't worked, plus both of us just get soaked with breastmilk while trying. 

Any hints or tips, or ideas of what could be the problem? I try waking him up by undressing him, changing his diaper etc, but it doesn't keep him awake for long. 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jitterbug79
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Are breastfed babies more likely to develop jaundice?
Breastfed babies are more likely than formula-fed infants to develop jaundice (3). However, jaundice occurs mainly in babies who are not nursing well (3, 4). These babies may not get enough calories and may become dehydrated, both of which may contribute to jaundice. Breastfeeding mothers should nurse their babies at least 8 to 12 times a day for the first several days of life to help keep their baby’s bilirubin level down (4).

The AAP recommends that all healthy full-term and near-term babies be breastfed (4). Breastmilk is the ideal food for babies and provides many health benefits, including reducing the risk of infections.

What are the signs of jaundice?
Yellow discoloration usually first appears on the face and in the whites of the eyes. A parent often can tell if a baby has jaundice by looking at the baby under natural daylight or in a room that has fluorescent lights. If a parent thinks there is a yellowish color, he should contact the baby's health care provider.

Most babies with jaundice are alert and eat and sleep normally. However, a parent should call the baby's health care provider immediately or seek emergency medical care if a baby with jaundice (1, 4):

• Appears very yellow
  • Is hard to wake
  • Sucks or nurses poorly
  • Appears floppy or stiff (or alternates between both)
  • Arches the neck or back backwards
  • Develops a high-pitched cry or fever
  • Has unusual eye movements

These may be warning signs of dangerously high levels of bilirubin that require prompt treatment to prevent a rare form of brain damage called kernicterus.

What is kernicterus?
Kernicterus is a type of brain damage caused by high levels of bilirubin. It can cause athetoid cerebral palsy (characterized by uncontrollable tremors or writhing movements of the limbs, body and face), hearing loss, problems with vision and, sometimes, mental retardation.

No baby should develop kernicterus because there are effective treatments that can lower bilirubin levels before they become dangerous. While kernicterus is rare, the exact incidence in the United States is unknown. About 125 babies with kernicterus were reported to a kernicterus registry from 1984-2002 (5). The number of affected children may be rising, possibly due in part to early hospital discharge of babies before jaundice is recognized or diagnosed.

ConnorMom228
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:40 AM
Try skin to skin contact, keep baby in just a diaper, rub up baby's back, tickle the cheek with your nipple. He needs to eat every 2 hours right now. Keep at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PZRM
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:28 AM
My baby girl didn't have interest at all eating for the first day, i talked to the nurses after she spat up fluid (i was there for 2.5 days) and it turns out she had a stomach full of amniotic fluid. :) So she just wasn't hungry even though I tried every 3 hours like I was told to. They pumped out her stomach to clear out the fluid and voila!! She nursed like a champ! (as soon as I could get her to latch, lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PZRM
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:31 AM
I also ended up takin her back at 5 days old for suspected jaundice, it is really scary when things don't go by the book. But hang in there! For jaundice a good natural cure is exposing baby to indirect sunlight(like through a window/under a tree), I can't remember why, but it's supposed to work. :)

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW ARRIVAL!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormystar15
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Sounds like jaundice. indirect sunlight is very good for it also make sure you wake him up to eat every 2 hours. the more nursing you do the better he will be at getting rid of the jaundice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Skin to skin contact. Put a chair in front of a window and camp out with baby. Put your full attention on baby and don't worry about anything else! Relax! Strip baby down. Use a cold wash cloth if necessary to keep baby awake. Baby should only have 1 wet diaper per days old. If baby is 3 days old then all you need is 3 wet diapers then tomorrow 4 then on the 5th day 6-8 and 6-8 everyday after.

Hugs!
My last two breastfed and was jaundiced. Fell asleep often. It was hard but we pushed through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ty355172
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I would not give formula! Try a wet wash cloth on his feet to wake him. A little sugar on ur nipple to get him interested ... but 2 wet and 2 poopy diapers so far seems like a good diaper count so far. Also, if your using a paci, i would ditch it and let baby nurse for comfort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Rub him down with cold lotion every 2 hours to get him to wake up. If you have to, hand express or pump your milk and give it to him with a syringe. Don't do bottles, that will just add to/create problems. If he was born the 9th, today is only the 12th, so his diapers are actually fanatastic. You only need one per day of life the first 6 days and then at least 6 a day. Wet & poopy count as 2. So he would only need 3 diapers today and you said there were 4, so you are really doing even better than you think :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

It's pretty common for babies to be more sleepy then hungry for the first few days...just keep offering every hour or so.  If baby isn't more hungry in a day or two I would definetly take him to the doctor just to make sure everythings okay but it sounds pretty normal!

megangary
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM

First off, congratulations on your little one! We had a similar problem with my little guy. I ended up pumping my breast milk so we could monitor how much he was actually getting. I ended up having to supplement with formula. I just had a sleepy kiddo. I would almost remove the onesie, unswaddle him and sometimes use some cool(ish) water to wake him up. Good luck sweetie!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)