Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of this statement?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

"Yummy oatmeal and banana's.....see how wide he opens his mouth for food? Yea he may not even be 4 months old but he's soooo ready for solids."

Someone put this as the caption to a Facebook photo of their infant eating. Starting a kid on cereal at 4 months seems extreme to me. But eating baby food at 3 months? Wow...

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shani527
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Honestly it makes me sick. Baby may be imitating but that does not mean baby is "sooo ready" there's a lot of internal development that still needs to happen as well as I'm pretty sure baby has external development to "pass " before food should be introduced. Also I am so personaly against starting fruits first. I guess I'm old school with the whole starting veggies first one at a time then adding fruits one at a time.

To each their own of course this is just my take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wjpassanante
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
That's way too early in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

agreed!

Quoting wjpassanante:

That's way too early in my opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Parents get excited and try to push their babies into doing things early. They see "signs" where there aren't any or when they mean something totally different.

Three months old is very early to me, but a lot of people (especially new parents and ones who haven't read up on it) think differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I'll go off what my paeditrician said, after 3 months if they appear ready, give them a go, if they do alright then they are ready. He's an amazing paeditirican and DDs dietician and paediatric team agree with him. So personally I wouldn't hold anything against your friend.

hdecker1217
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM
I went w/my pedi as well.. He said if she appeared ready to start solids at 4 months, to give it a go. She's done well and is now a healthy, happy 14 month old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM
My son had rice cereal in his bottle for a month by then. My friend started feeding her baby by then, didn't hurt her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C8Baxter
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM
It's not the only sign. Lol. People see ONE readiness sign and reach for the filet mignon. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megangary
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I have a buddy that did that. In my opinion it's a little early, but her kiddo is just fine. I doubt mom would intentionally harm her kid. Sometimes moms just push things and don't wait for little one to be ready.

angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

That is way too early for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)