Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age do babies self soothe?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
  • 10 Replies
Just curious...when are they capable of self soothing and/or going to sleep on their own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Depends on the baby. Earliest is around 6 months, give or take. My first is almost 4 and still has a hard time self soothing. My second was able to around 8 months or so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsg2011
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Rebekah is 5.5 months and I nurse her to sleep. 

mommyof2grls06
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM

All kids will reach that milestone at a different time. My youngest who is 10.5 months will nurse, lay down in her crib and pass out. My 2.5 year old still enjoys being rocked to sleep. My 4 year old started going to sleep on her own when she was about 27 months because that's when she weaned. My 5.5 year old was about 18 months before I could put her down and she would go to sleep alone. 

A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Cloth diapering, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, mommy to my 4 girls and wife to my Marine
Abortion? What part of "Thou shalt NOT kill" don't you understand?
God, guts and guns made America. Let's keep it all there.

paaepae
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Since the day he came home from the hospital I would put my son down awake and he would fall asleep on his own. I chalk that up to hiim being in the NICU though.

My 5mth old goes to sleep on her own occasionally. I make sure she has a full belly, a clean diaper, and her blanket. I lay her down and it's a 50/50 chance of her cooing and talking to herself until she falls asleep or getting pissed after a few minutes and wanting me to come get her.

Raeann11
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Every child is different.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Every child is different, they will do it eventually. Even the most doting parents I haven't ever seen having to rock a teenager to sleep, lol.
My oldest could sttn, (technically from day 1 since it's defined as 6 hours and she did that) and fall asleep solo by 6 weeks. My next was 2 years old before that happened regularly, and my youngest just turned 1 and he's been able to for a few months now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

depends on the baby.  I wouldn't recommend letting baby cry to sleep until 6 months at the earliest if at all.  I personally don't use the cry it out method at all.

FrumpyMama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Each baby different, some never do and some are more independent.

ty355172
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Me either. Id rather snuggle my bsby to sleep than hear her cry.

Quoting cabrandy03:

depends on the baby.  I wouldn't recommend letting baby cry to sleep until 6 months at the earliest if at all.  I personally don't use the cry it out method at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I really think it depends on the child. I helped my son transition early on so he put himself back to sleep with music at 8 months old. We started a new routine around his first birthday though. He's 18 months now and it is rare for him to cry when we lay him down at night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)