Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommies with toddlers

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 34 Replies

How to you handle temper tantrums? 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaelynnsMommy64
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Ignore her while she's having one. My dd is 20 months old and loves temper tantrums!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

My son hasn't gotten to the age where he throws bad ones. I've been around my niece and nephew who were terrible with tantrums though. Right now when he starts throwing a tantrum I try to talk to him and redirect him to do something else. 

preacherskid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Maggie gets one warning to calm down, and if she doesn't calm down after that warning she goes to her room to calm down. It has worked pretty well, we usually only have to give her the warning and she'll calm down. We started that between 15 & 18 months, she is three now.
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Ignore them (unless it's threatening safety) and praise tons for good behavior. Fortunately my kids have hardly ever thrown fits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM
If I sense that they are starting to lose control, I will say something like: "you need to get in control of yourself" in a fairly soft voice. That is more attention getting than trying to talk louder than them.

Quoting larissalarie:

Ignore them (unless it's threatening safety) and praise tons for good behavior. Fortunately my kids have hardly ever thrown fits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Ignore the tantrums
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I am getting better, Mason will throw them usually when he's tired or doesn't get his way. I just let him and then calmy take him out of the situation. If we are out in public, I take him out of the store or place. If at home, I take him to his room and calm him down.

MixedCooke
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:16 AM

ignore, re-direct, distract, time-out

Kathleen69699
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:19 AM
Quoting KaelynnsMommy64:

Ignore her while she's having one. My dd is 20 months old and loves temper tantrums!

Loving19mommy92
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I ignore them 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)