Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

has anyone adopted a FAS/drug baby before???

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

There is a FAS/drug baby up for adoption and i would like more on what kind of things to expect if you have ever adopted one or raised one will you please tell me what kind of things to expect and share what you have gone through:O) Thanks so very much i truley look forward to hearing from you soon:O)

by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Bump!!

triforcechick
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

My ex BIL was a FAS/drug baby. He and his five biological brothers all were and were adopted by the same couple. They are all adults now ranging between 19-30. Sorry I didn't realize before what FAS meant.

lauratupper
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM

BUMP!

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I foster parented a new born drug baby for almost two years (she was the daughter of an old friend of mine) I still spend a lot of time with her (shes 4 and a half now) Honestly she really wasn't any differnt then my biological daughter!  And now at 4 and a half she is very smart you would never know she was a drug baby!

teachermama924
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I haven't but my best friends parents did. They fostered him and adopted him as soon as they were approved. It was amazing to watch how they just loved him and he was immediately part of the family. He had to have several surgeries. He was on a feeding tube when he first came to them. When he started growing and developing they were able to see more about what was going to have to be done to help him. He was weaned off the tube when they were able to get him to eat and tolerate foods. Quite a bit later than a healthy child. He was not able to use either arm, see or hear at first. His hearing ended up getting better and he gained almost full use of his right arm. After several surgeries and tons of therapy he gained a little bit of use of his left hand and is able to see with extremely strong glasses. He went to a special school for a couple years then was able to finish school in regular public school. He now leads a pretty normal life. It was hard but with the love and care of his new family and friends he ended up doing really well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM
i was a drug addicted baby but i have not adopted a child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I babysat a drug baby and he was almost the same as the other kids I watched. Sometimes he would get more fussy but now he is the star of his 4th grade basket balk team and makes good grades. You would never know him mom was on every drug when she was pregnant.
Also he was slow to gain weight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on Feb. 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I have not.

Bump.

AnneMarie1203
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

We have adopted but we don't know if our daughter has FAE which means fetal alcohol effects. She's still young. There are different degrees of it and also each child is dfferent. There are a lot of good information out there you can find on the web. FAS and FAE can be very hard on a family and the child. If you google you can see what the child's brain looks like with FAS and without. Good luck on which ever path you take.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)