• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about GYN APT Coming up. How do I ? ???**EDIT** NO BASHING OR JUDGING! **EDIT AGAIN**

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM
  • 27 Replies

So, I have an appt. on Tuesday with my gynecologist to discuss a partial hysterectomy... I know she's probably going to be resistant, but it's what I really want. How can I convince her that this IS the best choice for me and my body ? There are a number of reasons I am requesting one.. She's afraid of the early menopause, and early osteoperosis ..... The last time I went we discussed Mirena, but in the past few months I've changed my mind... I don't want the surgery just for birth control reasons, but for medical reasons as well...... How do I get her to see that this is what I know is best for my body and I'm willing to put up with and suffer from the early menopausal consequences ? I have done tons of research. Yes it is for birth control but also because I have very very painful periods... During, a few days before and after.so bad that I am doubled over in pain and in tears. I also bleed way too much... Hemmorage (sp) is more like it. I have to wear those overnight TENA pads and even that doesn't work. The last appt. I had with her she wanted me to try mirena again and I said I would consider it....which I did. But two of my friends got, pregnant on it and it ended up being very painful..... So I want a partial or total... Either way I don't care. I can't keep doing this shit !!!! She usually has to prescribe me progestrin to make me stop bleeding because it's so bad..... I know this is the right choice for me and my body, she said that if I didn't want the Mirena she woukd re talk surgery, I just don't want her trying to talk me out of it.  My PCOS alone qualifies.me... I just need her to know thos is really what I want and that I know what my consequences are if I go this route, but there isn't any other choice.I can't use or take anything else. We have discussed with her the excruiating pain that I'm in every month when I get my period, and everything. I just don't know the right words....To make a long story short can't do any other bc. Hubby is not getting clipped so yea there ya have it

Did I forget to mention that when I had my MRI of my brain ( for migraines) a month or so back the nurse mentioned to me that her's went away when she had her hysterectomy. I have had debilitating migraine head aches since right before I hit puberty and it has only gotten worse, so I am thinking that if I had the hysterectomy that it would also help those. I am going to mention it to her also, maybe my migraines would go away too........ I really like my Dr. so I'm hoping she will finally give in and stop trying to convince me of options I  cannot take....

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

BUMP!

BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM

BUMP!

crysta82
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Why do you do you want a partial hysterectomy? Is it for birth control?
Mrs.Andrews
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I think you need to do your research and be prepared to show her you have done it and know what you are talking about. 

gummybearjunkie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:48 AM
I agree. I had an emergency partial hysterectomy in August. It was done to save my life and not something that I would have chose. So just make sure you are 100% informed and ready and if so, show your doctor that you are. Bring research with you and show you know what you want.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I think you need to do your research and be prepared to show her you have done it and know what you are talking about. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

If there isn't a strong medical reason to do it your desire should have no affect on her decision.  So, I would say the only thing you could do is have a valid medical reason and have exhausted other reasonable options.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Bump!

megangary
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I work with a scrub nurse that had a total hysterectomy because she didn't want periods anymore. These can be completely elective surgeries. Tell the doc exactly what you told us and maybe show some research. Good luck honey. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
What medical reasons would cause you to ask for one?

I nearly had to have one, and I fought like crazy to not! Have you done the research on what sudden hysterectomies do to your body both physically and mentally? It's a total shock to your system and it's very hard. It can also make you become very depressed from hormonal inbalance. You get crazy side effects and you up the chance at illnesses. My SIL is going through it now and is rewy struggling. I was lucky enough to get away with only having one ovary out. I'd have been devastated to have more taken out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)