Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby cereal

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
When can you start your baby on cereal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommyof2grls06
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Solids shouldn't be started until 6 months at the earliest. Google open gut in infants. 

That being said, we don't do baby cereal at all. It's over processed junk. It turns to pure sugar in your baby's body.

A proud Christian, Republican, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Cloth diapering, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, mommy to my 4 girls and wife to my Marine
Abortion? What part of "Thou shalt NOT kill" don't you understand?
God, guts and guns made America. Let's keep it all there.

YzmaRocks
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM
After 6 months, if you want. Like the pp, I skip it as well. I prefer to start my babies on table food around 8-10 months of age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM
After 6 months. No need for cereal, it's total junk. Fruits and veggies are the way to go :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I started it with DS at 3 months and he is 8 months now and we mix it with the jarred purees to make them a thick consistency.  He also gets rice cereal in his bottles.  The pediatrician told me that I should be giving him cereal when I told her he just ate the fruits and veggies.  At this point we only use it to thicken foods.

aimesnyc
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

4-6 months (http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token).

Do whatever you, your baby and your pediatrician feel is best.  I tried to start my 4 month old on cereal a couple of weeks ago, but he wasn't ready, so we're taking a rest and going to try again when he's 5 months.  If he's still not ready, then so be it. 

mamabens
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

We skipped  cereal, it's overprocessed junk & full of fake nutrients. We also skipped purees because IMO if it has to  be pureed they aren't  ready for it.  We start small soft chunks at 6 months if baby is ready but  not before. I personally don't use my pediatrition for nutrition advice though because they are not trained in infant nutrition.

lisakansas
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

4-6 months.  

PEEK05
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I wouldn't do cereal at all but it's recommended to wait until 6 months.

angela.bouchard
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

6 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)