Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Did your pediatrician prescribe your LO this?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM
  • 37 Replies

multi vitamin with fluroride 0.25 mg drops

what is this mainly for? is it really safe? and did you give it to your lo

he wanted us to give her it when shes 6 months..

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM
We don't give fluoride at all to anyone in our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyjenn84
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Fluoride yes. And suggested vitamins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Nope not unless there is a tested and proven vitamin diffeceincy. Never would do flouride let alone at 6 months. It is not necessarily safe. You can easily overdose on vitamins especially iron and flouride.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM
4 moms liked this

My ped just prescribed it to Hawk. It is perfectly safe, it's just like taking a multi vitamin. If you live in an area where floride in the water is low, then a Dr. will prescribe this.. The floride is good for their teeth. It's safe :) Trust your Dr. He/She wouldn't give it to you if it wasn't safe. 

PEEK05
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

No. I wouldn't give it.

BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The main purpose is for the floride to help protect their teeth when they start coming in. And you cannot overdose on vitamins if your giving the correct amount. That's why they start you out at 0.25 and you only take it 1 a day.

Quoting fahmom:

Nope not unless there is a tested and proven vitamin diffeceincy. Never would do flouride let alone at 6 months. It is not necessarily safe. You can easily overdose on vitamins especially iron and flouride.

Aphrodisiac
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM

No

Gailll
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I didn't give them to my full term babies. Human milk is perfect and it was before the current AAP recommendation to supplement with vitamin D starting at birth. I wouldn't supplement with vitamin D. Only a few babies have gotten rickets, almost all were black, it is a disease that can be treated, and it isn't fatal. I don't want anything in my babies' systems other than my milk the first 6 months. I don't see the need to force a baby to take terrible tasting vitamins.

matofour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this
Fluoride is NOT good to swallow, it does not do anything when ingested. Fluoride really only works topically.
I would suggest doing just a tiny bit of research about flouride.
It's actually very dangerous, especially when ingested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM
http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/infant/

Summation - Fluoride Exposure During Infancy:

In contrast to recommendations adopted in the 1950s, fluoride supplementation is no longer recommended for newborn children. This includes both fluoride in drops, and fluoride in drinking water.

Not only is fluoride ingestion during infancy unnecessary, it can also be harmful - as suggested by a mounting body of evidence linking fluoride exposure during the first year of life with the development of dental fluorosis. (For pictures of dental fluorosis, click here)

Because of the risk for dental fluorosis, and the lack of demonstrable benefit from ingesting fluoride before teeth erupt, the American Dental Association -and a growing number of dental researchers - recommend that children under 12 months of age should not consume fluoridated water while babies under 6 months of age should not receive any fluoride drops or pills.

Fluoridated drinking water contains up to 200 times more fluoride than breast milk (1000 ppb in fluoridated tap water vs 5-10 ppb in breast milk). As a result, babies consuming formula made with fluoridated tap water are exposed to much higher levels of fluoride than a breast-fed infant. (A baby drinking fluoridated formula receives the highest dosage of fluoride among all age groups in the population (0.1-0.2+ mg/kg/day), whereas a breast-fed infant receives the lowest).

Dental fluorosis is not the only risk from early-life exposure to fluoride. A recent review in The Lancet describes fluoride as "an emerging neurotoxic substance" that may damage the developing brain. The National Research Council has identified fluoride as an "endocrine disrupter" that may impair thyroid function, while recent research from Harvard University has found a possible connection between fluoride and bone cancer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN