Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

hes 7mths and doesnt even hold his own bottle..

Posted by   + Show Post

im in major need of help my ds will be 7mths on the 20th and wont even hold his own bottle..i kno he knows how to hes doen it before..hwo to i get him to crawl ect..?

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
erikays
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Have you tried introducing a sippy cup? Like the ones with handles, it might help a little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Holdind a bottle is not a milestone and it definitly shouldnt be encouraged. Is he sitting up on his own? Rolling over?

his doc says it is...and he should be doing it....he rolls over,he doesnt sit yet..he says mama and dada and baba

You said he knows how to hold it.  Just because he doesn't want to doesn't mean he doesn't know how to.  If you're concerned about motor development, then don't worry.  And, I agree with SewingMamaLele -- I never encouraged my son to hold his own bottle.  Bottle time was momma time (or whoever was feeding him) -- I've seen far too many children just walk around with their bottles all day and those are the ones who have a hard time 'giving it up'. 

As far as sitting and crawling and all that -- he will do it on his own time.  What I've read is between 4-7 months.  Sometimes crawling comes shortly after sitting.

myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Quoting erikays:

Have you tried introducing a sippy cup? Like the ones with handles, it might help a little.

yes i did great with it for 2days, then just stopped holding it..he would even tip his head back when it got low

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

ive even tried this he just lets go

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

No don't let him cry. Not all kids do things at the same month or so. All kids are different. When you feed him, (this what I did with my son) put his hands on the bottle as ur feeding him and take ur hands off without him noticing. I did that to my son and he gave me this pissed off look like "omg u tricked me" lol

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Shouldn't be encouraged? Imo it SHOULD be. It help him to hold things later, and hold it steady. Plus teaches him how to hold a sippy cup later on.

My DD held her bottle once and stopped after that around 7 or so months. I gave her a bottle and she expected me to hold it for her. I put her hands on side and after couple minutes she realized I wasn't going to hold it for her and she teach her to be independent. Plus good for strengthening her arms, for holding bottle for a period of time and when she has to hold her head back and liftbottle up when running low.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Holdind a bottle is not a milestone and it definitly shouldnt be encouraged. Is he sitting up on his own? Rolling over?

should i let him cry if he wont hold it..i mean i do but then i fell bad

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this
He's only 7 months- why the push for him to be so independent already? He's a baby, and babies need us. You said he COULD hold the bottle, but then stopped - have you considered that it's his way of saying he's not ready?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

his doc says it is...and he should be doing it....he rolls over,he doesnt sit yet..he says mama and dada and baba

Well, he should start sitting up here in the next month or so.   Holding a bottle is NOT a milestone, I don't care what your doctor says.   There are millions of babies who never even get bottles... how are earth could you gage their development on something they don't even come into contact with?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Why do you need him to hold his bottle? He's only 7 months old.

My kids never had bottles, so I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

not at all...im looking as it he is lazy...and i have not a clue how to make him do things ..and im not pushing him if he knows how to do it ..

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

He's only 7 months- why the push for him to be so independent already? He's a baby, and babies need us. You said he COULD hold the bottle, but then stopped - have you considered that it's his way of saying he's not ready?

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM
3 moms liked this

When it's time for a sippy, they will learn how to hold it just fine without ever having held a bottle.  I promise.   A bottle is a replacement for the breast, and if you have to resort to bottlefeeding, it should be done such as breastfeeding would be to maximize cognitive development.   Holding baby for feedings is GOOD for them, basically.   Hold them for as long as they will let you!!   They become independant all on their own.

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Shouldn't be encouraged? Imo it SHOULD be. It help him to hold things later, and hold it steady. Plus teaches him how to hold a sippy cup later on.

My DD held her bottle once and stopped after that around 7 or so months. I gave her a bottle and she expected me to hold it for her. I put her hands on side and after couple minutes she realized I wasn't going to hold it for her and she teach her to be independent. Plus good for strengthening her arms, for holding bottle for a period of time and when she has to hold her head back and liftbottle up when running low.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Quoting Randi02:

Why do you need him to hold his bottle? He's only 7 months old.

My kids never had bottles, so I don't understand why it's such a big deaon

its a step on to eating on his own,holding things, getting a cuppie(which hes has hold his cuppie already but stopped

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN