Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

hes 7mths and doesnt even hold his own bottle..

Posted by   + Show Post

im in major need of help my ds will be 7mths on the 20th and wont even hold his own bottle..i kno he knows how to hes doen it before..hwo to i get him to crawl ect..?

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM
You can't make him do stuff like that, though. It will happen in it's own time. It's not laziness so much as readiness.

Quoting myboys1st:

not at all...im looking as it he is lazy...and i have not a clue how to make him do things ..and im not pushing him if he knows how to do it ..

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

He's only 7 months- why the push for him to be so independent already? He's a baby, and babies need us. You said he COULD hold the bottle, but then stopped - have you considered that it's his way of saying he's not ready?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaidensMommi
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

give him a sippy cup with handles i did and my son still wont hold his bottle but will hold his sippy cup...i have tried several types of sippy cups but the one i have noticed that he likes the most is the Tommee Tippee my first sippy!!! he likes it cause it doesnt slip out of his hands and is small

Quoting myboys1st:

not always ...how many kids stil want the breast at 2 yrs old when they should be getting off of it..and seriously ..hes bitting through his nipples on his bottle ..its sippy time but how can i give him a sippy when he wont even hold his bottle( when i ddi give him his sippy he was holding his bottle)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

When it's time for a sippy, they will learn how to hold it just fine without ever having held a bottle.  I promise.   A bottle is a replacement for the breast, and if you have to resort to bottlefeeding, it should be done such as breastfeeding would be to maximize cognitive development.   Holding baby for feedings is GOOD for them, basically.   Hold them for as long as they will let you!!   They become independant all on their own.

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Shouldn't be encouraged? Imo it SHOULD be. It help him to hold things later, and hold it steady. Plus teaches him how to hold a sippy cup later on.

My DD held her bottle once and stopped after that around 7 or so months. I gave her a bottle and she expected me to hold it for her. I put her hands on side and after couple minutes she realized I wasn't going to hold it for her and she teach her to be independent. Plus good for strengthening her arms, for holding bottle for a period of time and when she has to hold her head back and liftbottle up when running low.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Holdind a bottle is not a milestone and it definitly shouldnt be encouraged. Is he sitting up on his own? Rolling over?

myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

And i will add for all those mothers who decided to breastfeed , good for u i treid to ..but seriosuly why  u commenting if u dont give ur child the bottle anyways..need advice for mothers who did, do give the bottle

myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

ive only tried one sippy..good ideal will try

Quoting CaidensMommi:

give him a sippy cup with handles i did and my son still wont hold his bottle but will hold his sippy cup...i have tried several types of sippy cups but the one i have noticed that he likes the most is the Tommee Tippee my first sippy!!! he likes it cause it doesnt slip out of his hands and is small

Quoting myboys1st:

not always ...how many kids stil want the breast at 2 yrs old when they should be getting off of it..and seriously ..hes bitting through his nipples on his bottle ..its sippy time but how can i give him a sippy when he wont even hold his bottle( when i ddi give him his sippy he was holding his bottle)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

When it's time for a sippy, they will learn how to hold it just fine without ever having held a bottle.  I promise.   A bottle is a replacement for the breast, and if you have to resort to bottlefeeding, it should be done such as breastfeeding would be to maximize cognitive development.   Holding baby for feedings is GOOD for them, basically.   Hold them for as long as they will let you!!   They become independant all on their own.

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Shouldn't be encouraged? Imo it SHOULD be. It help him to hold things later, and hold it steady. Plus teaches him how to hold a sippy cup later on.

My DD held her bottle once and stopped after that around 7 or so months. I gave her a bottle and she expected me to hold it for her. I put her hands on side and after couple minutes she realized I wasn't going to hold it for her and she teach her to be independent. Plus good for strengthening her arms, for holding bottle for a period of time and when she has to hold her head back and liftbottle up when running low.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Holdind a bottle is not a milestone and it definitly shouldnt be encouraged. Is he sitting up on his own? Rolling over?

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

momma_sam
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM
My son was between 7 and 9 months before he really held his own bottle too. dont worry. he will get the hang of it soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I didn't say anything about breast milk. I also did not put down bottle feeding. I said that the two are not comparable, because they're not. Breastfeeding has benefits that continue as long as the child is nursed - and two years is the recommended minimum. Bottles impact the teeth, jaw and speech negatively - which is why they should be off of them by a year.

Why would you assume my child is going to be 'stuck' on my breast at 4 years old? Nursing a toddler is nothing like nursing a baby. They usually nurse only before bed and nap times. My daughter nurses 4 times every 24 hours.

Learning to hold a bottle is not a necessary skill.

Quoting myboys1st:

ok breastmilk ..great..i tried pumping wasnt giving him enough ..btu dont put bottle feeding down either ..let me know how it works when shes stuck on ur breast when ur saying iats time for school at 4 yrs old

Quoting Randi02:

2 years is the recommended MINIMUM for breastfeeding :) It's not because they were never taught to hold their own bottles LOL. Nursing and bottles are not comparable at all.

My 19 month old is still nursing. She drinks water out of a glass (not a sippy cup) and feeds herself with a fork or a spoon.

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

myboys1st
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

it is a skill for bottled babies..so they can move up to th e sippy cup, then to a reg cup...because they bite throw nipples when teething..seriosuly post bf on bfing pages

Quoting Randi02:

I didn't say anything about breast milk. I also did not put down bottle feeding. I said that the two are not comparable, because they're not. Breastfeeding has benefits that continue as long as the child is nursed - and two years is the recommended minimum. Bottles impact the teeth, jaw and speech negatively - which is why they should be off of them by a year.

Why would you assume my child is going to be 'stuck' on my breast at 4 years old? Nursing a toddler is nothing like nursing a baby. They usually nurse only before bed and nap times. My daughter nurses 4 times every 24 hours.

Quoting myboys1st:

ok breastmilk ..great..i tried pumping wasnt giving him enough ..btu dont put bottle feeding down either ..let me know how it works when shes stuck on ur breast when ur saying iats time for school at 4 yrs old

Quoting Randi02:

2 years is the recommended MINIMUM for breastfeeding :) It's not because they were never taught to hold their own bottles LOL. Nursing and bottles are not comparable at all.

My 19 month old is still nursing. She drinks water out of a glass (not a sippy cup) and feeds herself with a fork or a spoon.

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

~HIS WIFE THEIR MOMMY~

Greenstone920
by Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this

You think extended breastfeeding is gross, clearly.  Good for you.  Sorry you're so bitter about not being able to breastfeed.  But clearly, you know nothing on the subject.  

Your child will hold his bottle/cup when he is ready to.  Whether he's able to now, or not, doesn't matter, he'll do it when he's ready.  No need to force it.

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I really don't think the nursing moms were trying to put you down or critisize your choice - it's more a matter of explaining that even breastfed kids who never use a bottle let alone hold it themselves DO learn to drink from cups and feed themselves without any trouble. My youngest has had maybe 3-4 bottles in her11 months, and my instructions for the sitter giving those bottles actually included not having her hold the bottle herself - time for milk is time for cuddles. But at 6 months she started sitting at the dinner table with us and eating the same food we had - she's never had any issues feeding herself, despite never holding her own bottle. :) Holding a bottle is not a requirement for learning motor skills, self feeding skills, or independance.

Quoting myboys1st:

And i will add for all those mothers who decided to breastfeed , good for u i treid to ..but seriosuly why  u commenting if u dont give ur child the bottle anyways..need advice for mothers who did, do give the bottle

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Am I telling you to post this on bottle feeding pages? lol, No. This is a BABIES group and you asked a question in it.

It's not a necessary skill for ANY baby. No bottles or sippy cups here, we somehow managed to teach them to drink out of a regular glass? That is because they don't need to hold their own bottles in order to do those other things.

Quoting myboys1st:

it is a skill for bottled babies..so they can move up to th e sippy cup, then to a reg cup...because they bite throw nipples when teething..seriosuly post bf on bfing pages

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting myboys1st:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting xx.felisha.xx:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN