Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Doctor wants one month old on solid foods, advice?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Ari
  • 621 Replies

My aunt just had her little girl on February 11th. She was induced, because the baby "ran out of room" inside of her... She was born just under ten pounds. She eats around six ounces of formula at a time (can you even believe that's possible?) So the pedi suggested she add rice cereal in her bottle and to spoon feed her a jar of food each evening. I told her not to listen to her doctor, but she insists that is the reason for doctors and she doesn't know what to do. Does anyone have advice I can pass along to her before she ruins her baby's little stomach? Please and thank you.

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
18 moms liked this

I used rice cereal at the same age.  No worries.  The feeding by spoon might be a bit tricky though, but let your aunt and her doctor figure it out.  There must be a reason.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM
26 moms liked this

I would never give a baby that young solids!  I would encourage her to wait until she's AT LEAST 4 months!

rachelrothchild
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM
23 moms liked this

Definitely no.  That kid is going to be obese, wow.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

rachelrothchild
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM
8 moms liked this

New guidelines say 6 months or older

Quoting cabrandy03:

I would never give a baby that young solids!  I would encourage her to wait until she's AT LEAST 4 months!

CafeMom Tickers
lauratupper
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
21 moms liked this

give her information about open gut....and personally I would also tell her to switch doctors.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

MaNdYbEaR2010
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
38 moms liked this
Her Dr is an idiot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yabbadabba07
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM
10 moms liked this
Second opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM
You can spoon feed a newborn. When my dd was fresh out of the oven, she wouldn't latch properly, so I would express and spoon feed her. They can drink out of cups, too.
That being said, I wouldn't feed the baby solids. They usually tell moms that when baby is underweight, not over. But if mom doesn't want to listen to anyone but the doctor, there's not much you can do. I would encourage her to seek a second opinion, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

that sounds like a big baby, i wonder why they are trying to give it more...

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't give solids to a baby under 6 months, but I know my pediatrician and many others okay it for some babies at 4 months.  I think it depends on the baby (they're all different and develop at different speeds and have different needs), but 1 month is definetly too young!

Quoting rachelrothchild:

New guidelines say 6 months or older

Quoting cabrandy03:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN