Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice & Info #1: Do babies need to learn how to sleep?

Posted by   + Show Post

How would YOU help this mom?

"My 7 month old still isn't sleeping through the night. Should I be doing something to help him?"

Should babies be picked up every time they wake or do they need to learn how to self-soothe?

Tell us what works for your family!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Replies (41-44):
lillysnow
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM
it is natural for babies newborns to wake up often it's not until there a couple months old that they might start sleeping through the night my sons 19 mo. and he sometimes wakes up in the middle of the nite. my advice is to play music real low volume , classical and oldie rock worked for my son that young
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM
I know a lot of people are against CIO but I swear by it. Babies need to learn how to fall asleep. I used CIO with both my boys and it worked wonders. In the beginnibg I would go in every 15 minutes to check on him but not pick him up. Just reassure him that I was there. It only took about 3-4 days and then he would go to sleep within 5 minutes. Now my 10 month old wakes once in a while and I wait a couple minutes and if he doesn't go right back out I go in the room keeping it dark and saying nothing. I check his diaper and change it right in the crib if it needs it and then rub his back and leave. He will usually cry 1-5 minutes and be back out. I highly recommend doing it. This was actually suggested by his pedi. and I am so glad I did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

i'm having problems with my 9 month old dd but we're adjusting. mainly it's a wet diaper. most of the time she's asleep when she cries. i'm taking advice from these replies as well.

daisytr5
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think there is a fine balance here. They need to know you will be there and love them. On the other hand they also need to learn to self-soothe. My daughter wouldn't sleep through the night so I let her self-soothe for nighttime and naps. I also cut her naps back. This helped a ton!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN