Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice & Info #2: Do babies need a schedule?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does this sound familiar?  

"I never know when my 4 month old is going to sleep, eat, etc... Should I be taking steps to put her on a schedule?"

Do babies need to be put on a schedule? How and when should it start?

Is your baby on a schedule? Tell us how you did. Don't think schedules are necessary? Share your opinions below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (101-106):
MommyO2-6631
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM
He'll be 10 weeks tomorrow. He naps often but it only lasts for about half an hour or less each time. He has about 1 hour wake times during the day and then sleeps for about 30 minutes and is back up again. And lately he has started gettng up about 8 times a night to nurse... ugh i'm overly tired! I always try to get him to sleep at the forst signs of sleepiness but he just fights it everytime!

Quoting jhslove:

We used the Weissbluth method of sleep training, which not everyone agrees with but it's been extremely beneficial for us.

How old is your baby? He definitely sounds overtired. Try a super-early bedtime (like 5:30 p.m.) for a few days to help him get caught up on his sleep. You may also need to super-short waketimes during the day, depending on how old he is. When my girl was four or five months old, she went down for a morning nap only about 90 minutes after waking. Then she had 90-minute to two-hour wake times for the rest of the day (she was taking three naps a day until about six months). Does he nap during the day?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

For those of you that have put your kids on a sleep schedule how did you do it? My baby keeps getting overly tired and cranky because he fights sleep and most of the time won't go to bed until 11

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Oh, so he's still tiny! Honestly, I don't remember a lot about that time because it was such a blur....   :)

Does he sleep swaddled? Have you tried white noise or having him sleep in a swing? When our girl was that age, the only way we could get her to sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time was to swaddle her and have her sleep in her car seat next to my side of the bed with white noise on! We bought a Miracle Blanket, and it was seriously the best investment ever.

Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about a sleep schedule yet. Just do whatever you can to maximize sleep during the day and night (swaddling, white noise and possibly letting him sleep in a swing will probably help) and hopefully he'll get less overtired. Once he hits three to four months, then you can start getting him on a routine. (The Weissbluth book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is a great resource for this!)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

He'll be 10 weeks tomorrow. He naps often but it only lasts for about half an hour or less each time. He has about 1 hour wake times during the day and then sleeps for about 30 minutes and is back up again. And lately he has started gettng up about 8 times a night to nurse... ugh i'm overly tired! I always try to get him to sleep at the forst signs of sleepiness but he just fights it everytime!

Quoting jhslove:

We used the Weissbluth method of sleep training, which not everyone agrees with but it's been extremely beneficial for us.

How old is your baby? He definitely sounds overtired. Try a super-early bedtime (like 5:30 p.m.) for a few days to help him get caught up on his sleep. You may also need to super-short waketimes during the day, depending on how old he is. When my girl was four or five months old, she went down for a morning nap only about 90 minutes after waking. Then she had 90-minute to two-hour wake times for the rest of the day (she was taking three naps a day until about six months). Does he nap during the day?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

For those of you that have put your kids on a sleep schedule how did you do it? My baby keeps getting overly tired and cranky because he fights sleep and most of the time won't go to bed until 11

MommyO2-6631
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM
He's outgrown swaddling. He likes to move his arms and legs too much. He despises his car seat even when i'm just trying to go anywhere somewhere. I would really just like to get him to sleep before 11. I have a first grader and we all have to get up super early to take him to school

Quoting jhslove:

Oh, so he's still tiny! Honestly, I don't remember a lot about that time because it was such a blur....   :)

Does he sleep swaddled? Have you tried white noise or having him sleep in a swing? When our girl was that age, the only way we could get her to sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time was to swaddle her and have her sleep in her car seat next to my side of the bed with white noise on! We bought a Miracle Blanket, and it was seriously the best investment ever.

Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about a sleep schedule yet. Just do whatever you can to maximize sleep during the day and night (swaddling, white noise and possibly letting him sleep in a swing will probably help) and hopefully he'll get less overtired. Once he hits three to four months, then you can start getting him on a routine. (The Weissbluth book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is a great resource for this!)

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM

How about white noise or a swing?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

He's outgrown swaddling. He likes to move his arms and legs too much. He despises his car seat even when i'm just trying to go anywhere somewhere. I would really just like to get him to sleep before 11. I have a first grader and we all have to get up super early to take him to school

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

MommyO2-6631
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM
The vacuum works sometimes. His swing used to work great but not so much anymore :(

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Awwww, I'm sorry. For my daughter, sleep was just rough until she was about four months, so I understand where you're coming from. See if you can get a white-noise machine (we got one for about $15 from Target--I think it's made by Graco). Good luck!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

The vacuum works sometimes. His swing used to work great but not so much anymore :(

Quoting jhslove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN