Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice & Info #2: Do babies need a schedule?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does this sound familiar?  

"I never know when my 4 month old is going to sleep, eat, etc... Should I be taking steps to put her on a schedule?"

Do babies need to be put on a schedule? How and when should it start?

Is your baby on a schedule? Tell us how you did. Don't think schedules are necessary? Share your opinions below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Mar. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes and no. I feed on demand and let them sleep when they are tired, but we do have a fairly consistent schedule otherwise. Bath time, bed time, etc.

BiPolarMomto3
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with cabrandy03. I do not and have not put any of my children on a sleep schedule as babies. Babies are growing living beings and they need to sleep and eat when they want to. Not when someone dictates they should. Keeping a baby on a sleep schedule can deprive them of sleep when they are really tired and your refusing to let them sleep..It deprives their brains and bodies of those times when they need to sleep so their brains can develop.

hdecker1217
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM
This.

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

I believe in a night time routine, to let them know when it's bedtime, but that's it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM
My kids have one & have since they were old enough to do well with it. It keeps us all happier
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PZRM
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM
My bro and sil put their girls on a schedule because they had twins and found it was easier for them, but they weren't super crazy about it. Like if one baby just wasn't hungry at 'feeding time #__" but became hungry an hour later, they'd feed her vs. bein strictly "by the book'' ... My dd set her own schedule early on, now I just enforce it as far as sleep goes. Food is on demand but nap times aren't optional unless she truly isn't going to get any sleep cuz she's not tired. Usually she is though thank goodness... lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Not necessarily a ridged schedule but some kind of routine that is pretty consistant.

bxmommy2be
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 1:00 AM
My 8 month old is not on a schedule she does sleep through the night though and has been since she was 3 wks. She has developed her own thing. I cant expect her to sleep just cuz its nap time if she's not sleepy, just like us babys have their off days where maybe shes more or less tired or hungry. I'm not saying nothing bad about moms who do keep their babysitter on a schedule I'm just saying for us we didn't do that.
wanntawn
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM

My babies are 5 months old as of 2 days ago and today we tried a real schedule for the first time, but it is based on how they have been for the last couple of months. So we will see how it works and adjust accordingly. We fit in 2 nap times one in the morning and one in the afternoon since they will nap around these times anyways, we just now are going to make them official nap times and put them in their beds for these times. So far everything went great today! So we will see how tomorrow works! :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
preacherskid
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM
When I was home and before I returned to work, the baby set the schedule. Once I returned to work, baby had to go to daycare and a schedule had to develop.
bamababe1975
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Routines are helpful, but not stringent schedules. I think trying to keep a strict schedule of feeding every 4hrs or whatever is ridiculous, and there have been studies that prove babies who feed on demand have higher IQs, too, so I think if they're hungry, feed them, and if they're tired, put them to bed. My only exception is that I always made a point to put them to bed at 8pm and make the house dark and uninteresting around that time so they'd get into the habit of wanting to sleep at that time. It still works today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN