Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice & Info #2: Do babies need a schedule?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does this sound familiar?  

"I never know when my 4 month old is going to sleep, eat, etc... Should I be taking steps to put her on a schedule?"

Do babies need to be put on a schedule? How and when should it start?

Is your baby on a schedule? Tell us how you did. Don't think schedules are necessary? Share your opinions below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
ty355172
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Start a routine, don't force a schedule.itll only make u and baby miserable. Keep a routine and baby will start her own schedule eventually. Follow babies lead:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Somewhat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The only thing I scheduled was bedtime.  Ever since my son was about 2 months, he's had a bedtime routine and is in bed by around 8 pm (earlier if he's super tired and a little later when he's not).  The rest of the day, he's pretty much made his own schedule.  I'm pretty sure that my daycare provider has put him on a schedule that is convenient for her, which pisses me off a bit...but he doesn't seem to be harmed by it.

tydyco
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Yes babies need schedules. My kids all had schedules bx I thought that was the thing to do. Recently a friend of mine called me at 3 am bx she was awake and bored, I asked why she was awake and she replied that her 1yr old daughter was still awake. I realized that schedules are what is best for the family. If not a strict schedule, the child needs to learn boundaries early or this will happen to you. Transitioning to a non nocturnal life could be very difficult for baby otherwise, and in turn be very very hard on mommy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I have always let baby pick their own schedule. My DD falls asleep every night at 8 and I did nothing to make it that way.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I didn't bother with a schedule until 6 months.  My son made his own schedule and I try to follow it as well as I can.  He normally eats at 9, 12, 4,7,and 9.  If he is hungry and 11 I feed him.  I would say the only important thing is to start a bedtime and morning routine and stick to it.  If you can nail down a bedtime routine it will be a lot easier for baby to know when night time, and bedtime, is and will help with a daytime schedule.

boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM
dd has been pretty good at night, especially these last few weeks. its during the day that she's unpredictable. i want her on one especially because i work from home but i won't force it
2ninos4me
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM

my ds1 started sleeping tru the night when he was 2 months old :) 

and ds2 has only waken up once every night to eat since he was born :)

theyre 2.5 yrs old and 6 months old . and they arent on schedule . to eat and sleep they will be once they start attending daycare and pre school this summer but other than that . i let our daily lives be spontaneous (sp?) i have seen how theres always something that comes in our way and kinda ruins our "schedule" so why worry then ? lol

Photobucket

heathermarie23
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I don't have a schedule...  I eat when I'm hungry, why should they be any different? Both of my boys have slept thru the night (with a few exceptions, not enough to complain about).  I do keep normal occurances during nap time (tv on, vaccum, not whispering, no black out curtains) but bed time (usually between 9-10 depending on how restless they are) is dark and quiet, they both go to sleep within 10-15mins of laying down.

boysrablessing
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM
My children all have been on a routine since they were about 6months old. I nurse on demand but my 8 month and my 3 older boys eat breakfast at 830 then snack time at 10 lunch at 12 snack at 230 dinner at 5 baths at 630 bedtime by 830. We have found having 3 ADD children a set routine helps them to know what is next so they dont get anxious and lose focus as often!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)