Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice & Info #2: Do babies need a schedule?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does this sound familiar?  

"I never know when my 4 month old is going to sleep, eat, etc... Should I be taking steps to put her on a schedule?"

Do babies need to be put on a schedule? How and when should it start?

Is your baby on a schedule? Tell us how you did. Don't think schedules are necessary? Share your opinions below.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help millions of other moms!  Click here to offer more Advice & Info.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
majormom33
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Those of you that do schedules for sleeping for your babies, how do you do it? how do you get them to go to sleep. Thanks  I have a 5 mo old.

Ravens_Mum
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Yes, I think schedules are excellent for babies, it helps them learn what to expect and gives them that stability they need. Routines help them become accustomed to life outside the womb.

The only thing I don't use a schedule for with my daughter is when it comes to eating. I feed on demand, not on a schedule. Some people say on demand is more likely to cause over weight babies, but my girl isn't overly chubby nor is she in the higher percentile of weight for babies her age.

My sister has a little one 3 months younger than mine and does the "schedule" feeding, so I've been exposed to both approaches. In my opinion I think the on demand is better, people think her little one is a "moody" baby, but sometimes I think maybe she's just crying a lot cause she is hungry and isn't being fed because it isn't time yet. However, I can see the advantages for putting a baby on a feeding schedule, I just prefer "on demand" for mine.

As I like to say when it comes to parenting: To each their own.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Some babies need a sleep schedule, but I just feed on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaththea_Mom
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM
When she ws born we fed on demand and she slept when she was tired. Eventually she set a schedule for herself without any help from us, and it was a natural transition.
sabelponte
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Yes especially for sleep. It helps to establish a good bed time routine for sure IMO. It saves a lot of hassle when they get older getting them to sleep. =)

LdyD29
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I think babies form their own schedules. Feed on demand and sleep when they are tired. Mine have always set their own schedules. I feel that if parents are in tune with their child's cues al will run smoothly.
Kmbly
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM
My dghter does not have a routine...i have the routine...i knw when she hungry..bottle...she naps during the day..when she tired....its pretty much the same time everyday.bedtime is between 8-9 pm depends
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM
She's on a loose sleep schedule. First nap is always between 12-1 pm. Second is between 4-6. Third is usually 8-9. Bedtime is 11, but due to teething that's been stretched to midnight.

What we do between naps varies, no real schedule there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piercea222
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I dont worry about having them on a feeding schedule but i do make a schedule for the rest of the day including bed. If for some reason the baby needs to eat during something we are doing then i just push that back for a little while and feed the baby. 

firstimepreg30
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Our 9 month old has kinda formed his own schedule.   He goes to sleep around 9 every night and up at 7.   He is always pretty much hungry at the same times, and naps at noon and 6pm consistantly.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN