Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need sleep and my room back! **EDIT**

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM
  • 18 Replies

I am out of ideas and could use some help! My daughter is five months old today and will not sleep in her room. She will sleep in her rocker next to our bed but she is too big for that now. I thought maybe she maybe she was confused because she didn't really know her room because she was rarely in it. So for the past couple of week I have taken her up there during the day and we have played. I didn't want her to associate her room with a scary place. We have a bedtime routinue that we do every night around the same time and I put her in there awake so she knows what is going on. She is okay at first by within in 10 mins shes screaming like someone is killing her. I try to wait a few minutes and go in and ressaure her she's fine but that seems to not help. I can't let her scream for very long because we live in a townhouse with very thin walls. She knows what she is doing because if I pick her up she will fall asleep in my arms or want to go in bed with me. I can't have her in bed with me anymore she is killing my back. Since she likes to stretch out I thought she would like her crib but no such luck. If anyone has any advice I am open to trying anything at this point. Thanks in advance :)

**So I can not stand to listen to cry so I thought before I restort to that I am going to try an alternative. She sleep in her rocker and is so relaxed and calm in it, I am looking for something to almost mock that but in her crib. I looked up sleep positioners but they seem to be only for small infants, and I have a wedge but she always sides down and ends up sideways and gets irritated. So if anyone knows of an alternative that might help I am open to try anything. This is the rocker she sleeps in. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gomomgomom
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Does she have a night light?? What about soft music. It's always hard to make a transition. What if u stand by the crib and sing to her and/or rub her back til she goes to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelee89
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:29 AM

She has a night light on the monitor and when she cries I will stand there and put my hand on her belly and talk to her and this works the first couple of times then it evenually gets to there is no stopping her crying unless you pick her up.

Quoting gomomgomom:

Does she have a night light?? What about soft music. It's always hard to make a transition. What if u stand by the crib and sing to her and/or rub her back til she goes to sleep.

CafeMom Tickers
erikays
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM
It takes awhile, especially being so young. Does she have a mobile, white noise player or a glow worm? My kids I'd always have to rub their backs til they fell asleep. They also stayed in our room til they were 1.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM
She's only 5 months?

I don't know what to tell you. At 5 months, they still dependon parents for regulation at night. hell, my 5 year old and 17 month old still sleep in my room. My son is terrified of his room at night due to a nightmare he had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelee89
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I will have to try to do white noise. Did they stay in bed with you or did you have a bed in your room for them?

Quoting erikays:

It takes awhile, especially being so young. Does she have a mobile, white noise player or a glow worm? My kids I'd always have to rub their backs til they fell asleep. They also stayed in our room til they were 1.

CafeMom Tickers
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM
She's just not ready. There's nothing wrong with a baby wanting/needing to be close to mama. Any way to attach her crib to your bed so that you have your bed back but she is still with you? I'm sorry, I'm not too much help lol. DD slept in a bassinet next to our bed from birth-5 months old and has been sleeping in her pack and play next to our bed (and occasionally in bed with us) since then, she's 13 months old today.
It will be a process, but if baby isn't ready, it's not going to go well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miascarlet
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I can totally relate to u my Lo is 7months and sleeps on me in a lazy boy. We have tried everything and nothing settles her like sleeping on me. I know I will have to bite the bullet and let her cry it out b/c I don't see any other way at this point:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM
My first slept with us til 3.5, moved him bc I was too preggo then lol!

My younger ones just had their cribs next to our bed.

Quoting Kelee89:

I will have to try to do white noise. Did they stay in bed with you or did you have a bed in your room for them?

Quoting erikays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gomomgomom
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM
My oldest dd had one of those leap frog dogs think its name was spot. It would play up to ten minutes of bedtime music and had a light. She slept with it in the crib. It worked wonders. U may can try that.

Quoting Kelee89:

She has a night light on the monitor and when she cries I will stand there and put my hand on her belly and talk to her and this works the first couple of times then it evenually gets to there is no stopping her crying unless you pick her up.

Quoting gomomgomom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mishlerdr24
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I would try putting her crib in your room. I have 2 different night lights for my son. I have that fisher price waterfall soother that attches to the crib, and the take along projector that sits on his dresser and shines a light up on the wall or for us it shines on the ceiling. But before I get too far I haven't had any problems with my son sleeping in his own crib. But I keep the same night time routine and when I am feeding him his last bottle i rock him and as soon as he closes his eyes I rock him for another 5 mins and I go straight to his bed turn on one of his night light soothers and turn on a fan! and walk out! If he wakes up which is rare I go in there check his diaper to make sure he doesn't need changed in the middle of the night if not I do not pick him up I do not say anything to him I just pat his back. When it comes to nap time I rock until his eyes close and I let him take a nap in his crib, no where else. My son is a horrible napper but I found he'll nap longer if he is in his crib and not his swing or anywhere else.

Those are my suggestions, maybe start with the crib in your room, a couple different night light soothers, a fan, and naps in the crib and no where else. 

Good Luck Momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)